Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Car Was Hit By a Golf Ball, What To Do? ?

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Maybe an option would be (assuming you have full comprehensive cover) getting in touch with your insurance mob. Explaining the situation, giving them the golf club details. Then let your insurance company fight them.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
we had a booze up on the golf course a few weeks ago and asked a resident there what happened in the event of broken windows/tiles from stay (golf) balls. he said that the course doesnt cover any of it. so it could extend to cars too? im not sure, butcontact your insurer. you may have to claim it as a '3rd party damage, no 3rd party found' and you will have to pay the excess...

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I would've thought that they pay for this kind of thing also. . .
But what gets me is 2 people who work there both said that it would be fixed them I get a letter stating that they dont hold responsibility! :bang:

As for the fences they are on the normal kind of link fences you get anywhere, no special height on them, no nets, just smallish trees. . . .
They have a high fence on the main road, but not on any of the others.

I rang my insurance about it, they said I would have to make a claim for them to pursue it. For one, I can almost get it fixed for the excess amount, and I've just chaged insurance company, so I have to be with them for a year to get no claim for life. . . don't want to lose that either. . .

So yeh, its now take it further or as sixshooter says. . . . . . Already thought of a few things. Not that I condone that of kind of action. But I am just sick of places like that just wiping their hands of things like this!!! :mad:

semmi

Reaction score
what a b!tch of a thing to happen!!

this is one of those situations where the golf course morally has an obligation to pay you, but legally it's a grey area (it's really up to you to fight it)

getting a lawyer to write a threatening letter is not a bad idea, but lawyers charge like a wounded bull for these things and a lot of times it goes nowhere, because the party you are claiming against knows you're just blowing a lot of smoke up their ass, that you aren't really going to get your lawyers on to them

julie had a good suggestion about goint to your insurer although depending who your cover is with, you will have varying degrees of success. the other thing is you will probably to pay some sort of excess if you claim through your insurer, and if you don't claim they probably won't be interested in coming into bat for you... [edit: i reread your post and just realised that is exactly what did happen when you called them!]

personally i would go with what goombeast said about lodging a small claims complaint - just remember the process differs from state to state so you need to check out what the process is for your state - this is also likely to be the cheapest option, and why should you be out of pocket for something that isn't your fault and you have no control over?

anyway good luck, and let us know what happens :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
sixshooter said:
Buy yourself a cheap motocrosser then err...you get the picture...?

Instant concrete mix in the sand trap ?

Pay to get in and hit a few balls at the clubhouse ?

not helping much am I ?...

I cant help but feel vindictive when something like this happens...

After your last post deserthead, seems sixshooter is on the money. You wont get your car fixed, but you'll sure feel ****in good for a few weeks!

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Because of your insurance excess amount you have to decide whether it's the money that you want to pursue or whether it's the principle of the matter that you want to settle.

What happens if this occurs again in a few months or to someone that you know?

If you get a judgement against the course then you will have set a precedent and golf courses in the state you live in will have to pony up for insurance to pay for any damage done by any of their members in the future.

In your case money is not in abundance so they will get away with it yet again. If it was James Packers car I have no doubt they would scramble to pay him out immediately.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Not sure about other states but in Victoria the golf ball scenario falls under the same umbrella as the cricket ball. A couple of weeks ago I watched a cricket ball get despatched for 6 into a passing car (I wasn't bowling at the time!!). It smashed right through the driver's side of the windscreen, showering the driver in glass. He was in a state of shock when he hopped out and looked like a rough customer. When he came over to beat up the batsman responsible he was given the same line as you were, "Here's the club president's phone number, contact him and he'll look after you". The cricket club is not responsible, it's just used to calm down the complainant at the time. You can try the lawyer letter routine, but I think the cost to get it done will outweigh any chance you have of scaring the club into paying (the golf club will know their rights without even consulting a lawyer).

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Someone has to be legally responsible for any damage from activities that result in damage, injuries or deaths that occur from properties.

Who is the legal owner of the property? That might get better and faster resul;ts.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
After reading all the relpies, thanks for the help too!!, I'm guna go with goombeast's susgestion. Just have to wait till after new years now.

Its not really bout the money anymore. Dont get me wrong, I want it fixed, but y should I have to pay for it wen its not my fault?
So now its definitly more the principal of the matter!!!!
Still want the car fixed though!!!

Some1 has to be held countable! You cant have a place saying "well, it came out of our land, but were not responsible for it."

Grrrrr, gets me worked up everytime I talk bout it!!! :bang: :bang: :mad:

Couldn't agree more with you MOTIV8. Money makes the world go round. They probly think, its just some local hick trying to get money outta them. But the funny thing is I went in with the papers in uniform after work, thought it might have made them realise i was a normal (I use this term loosely too) person. Made no difference though. . . .

So now I only have one place on my dance card atm and its this golf course!!!!!!!! :shooting: :flame: *insert evil laugh*

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Just make sure you don't get into any legal trouble such as criminal damage etc because that would be way more expensive then the cost of damage to your car as well earn you a criminal record.

A criminal record wouldn't look good on a passport if you want to travel overseas and it wouldn't look good on any job application either.

I would talk to a legal expert first before doing anything else.