Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My First Car - 2005 VZ SV6

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Nice car mate, i just got a 2002 S, my first car too didn't quite have your budget.

Oh and I've discovered a draw back to the MCAI/2 mod, fuel consumption goes up...

What was your consumption before and after? Do you simply just put in the added hole to increase air intake?

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Nice car mate, i just got a 2002 S, my first car too didn't quite have your budget.

What was your consumption before and after? Do you simply just put in the added hole to increase air intake?

Yeah, the VZ SV6 was right on the limit of my budget, if I couldn't get this I was going to go for a VX S, love the VX, best shape on a commodore.

I get about 9-10L/100km on the highway, I'd say if it wasn't for me flooring my car all week I'd have my normal 11L/100km , but I've been on about 12.9L/100km because of it. Probably better off asking one of the other guys that have done it.

Your spot on about the air intake. Why starve your engine? Its essentially an air pump. Your car needs to breathe.

Another thing...When's this DIY coming?

It will be along time now, just moving in with my girlfriend so mods won't be happening very often cos I need to buy a whole heap of crap and I've decided to work on my tyres and brakes next. It will happen though.

http://swingtan.customer.netspace.net.au/2hole.html

There is a two hole mod for the VZ at this link. Quite good.

Yeah thats the method I used, I highly recommend it!

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Done...

Just finished doing the 2 hole mod on my vy, different sutup to the vz, i put the 2nd hole on the opposite side to engine (passenger side), on the vy theres a big gap there. After finishing the cutting found that i had no black paint so put it all together again (without flaring out the end) and went up the road to get some. Gave it some down a back street and didn't feel any difference, no noise no power gain. Hopefully the ecu is taking its time to notice the difference...

Does flaring the ends really do much?

I have just flared the end and painted it, just waiting for the paint to dry...

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
flairing the end will hold it in the box more so it doesn't fall out.
what do you mean different setup to the vz, the air box will be on the same side as the vy and yes it will prob take some time for the ecu to recognise more air coming in

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
I doubt flaring the end does anything at all.

I believe it just makes it look like the standard funnel.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
I doubt flaring the end does anything at all.

I believe it just makes it look like the standard funnel.

That's what i figured...

On the vy the box is on the same side obviously but the snorkel is different. And like everyone said the coolant reservoir is right there so i decided to put the hole on the side rather than the front.

Has anyone else done this mod to a vy?

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
How have most people done theirs on a VY? As I have a VY s1 which will be getting this mod very soon, but im not sure to put the hole on the front, or passenger side, or both, of the air box.

Cheers lads ;)

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
The VY airbox looks rather hard to do and a bit of a waste of time as the hole you cut out is rather small so you wouldn't get much of that induction growl.