Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nathans VY Calais - 'Calais 2.0'

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Props to you on the conversion.

Tiresome seeing people bagging out other's processes because they would have done it differently. Imagine if everyone did everything the same.....we would all be driving black beemers.....oh wait.....but then someone would have a go about that as well.

rowinskii

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
Well done man! Especially for you to get out of your song pet zone to do this is a big thing and have probably learnt alot along the way. This was a first for alot of things and myself included, but we had fun.

If people are comin on here to try to do the "i told you so" and just try put you down, simply just go back to your worthless life of bagging out genuine people behind a computer screen.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Fah nice man congrats. Should be a fun few months to come for you :p.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Oh yes much excitement! Hozy is a great guy, I might have misunderstood his first comment a bit (not sure if it was meant to be lighthearted/sarcastic) but overall I'm glad he's around here.

Really keen to get into the V8 modding world and see what I can do with this new motor :)

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG

Tiresome seeing people bagging out other's processes because they would have done it differently. Imagine if everyone did everything the same.....we would all be driving black beemers.....oh wait.....but then someone would have a go about that as well.

Hmm, I think that seems a bit unfair.

I looked at the photos and thought exactly the same thing as hoz.
The reason why it is said is because not doing preventative maintenance or at least 'tidying' things up when you have the BEST chance you will ever have, i.e. motor is out of the car, and you don't do it. Only causes more time and headaches in the long run.

Like people who lower a car and don't change strut mounts/bearings, they take a bigger hammering with shortened suspension and fail in 6 months and then people spend twice as much money fixing them.

Alot of things around here are said based on previous experience and we watch and comment when we see people making the same mistakes over and over again. Advice given, not heeded and then they come back later and complain about something not being right.

/Rant.

Nath, good job on getting the motor in.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

id love me a black bmw motorcycle, was considering a S1000RR just the other day actually.

Well done man! Especially for you to get out of your song pet zone to do this is a big thing and have probably learnt alot along the way. This was a first for alot of things and myself included, but we had fun.

If people are comin on here to try to do the "i told you so" and just try put you down, simply just go back to your worthless life of bagging out genuine people behind a computer screen.

the "i told you so" will most likely come when **** starts breaking after he starts modifying the motor.

when i did my swap, i spent a month(weekends and after work) replacing everything i could before i took a week off work to put it in. yes i spent extra money, and yes it was totally worth it. i feel much more comfortable revving the ringer out of it knowing its fresh.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
I agree with hozy, hamma and hak.

Do it once, do it right.

Then you wont be sitting there with a busted motor thinking "I wish I had of pulled it down and freshened it up".

Props on the install though man.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Alot of things around here are said based on previous experience and we watch and comment when we see people making the same mistakes over and over again. Advice given, not heeded and then they come back later and complain about something not being right.

the "i told you so" will most likely come when **** starts breaking after he starts modifying the motor.

when i did my swap, i spent a month(weekends and after work) replacing everything i could before i took a week off work to put it in. yes i spent extra money, and yes it was totally worth it. i feel much more comfortable revving the ringer out of it knowing its fresh.

The advice given on this forum is great, but I think the overall attitude could more positive. Just because one person ignores advice and whinges about it doesn't mean everyone else will, and doesn't mean I will. Obviously I know the risks of doing this conversion the way I have - this is why I asked in the first place, now I know what could go wrong and understand the risks which is far better than being ignorant - and there is value in that, you've gotta let people learn the knowledge and decide for themselves what they're gonna do with it - if they choose another road then that's their problem to deal with.

For me, I was working to a budget and a time schedule because having one car off the road is a bloody nightmare to organise me and my wife getting around and getting to work every day with one car. This is crucial for us so getting the conversion done in one weekend was by far the best option there. I don't have unlimited money so my focus was getting the conversion finished, in the car and driving again. Everything else is only icing on the cake, If I had the time and money to do it all I definitely would have.

Looks like I only missed that mark on a few things according to Hozy, so in regular peoples terms I did well :p I decided not to change engine mounts because they looked fine and they aren't that cheap to just put in there if they're not needed. Pacemakers I just didn't have time to paint, I didn't pick them up until saturday arvo and the motor went in sunday.

Keeping in mind we worked friday night, saturday night, sunday night and monday. It's not like we had 4 full days of time twiddling our thumbs. If you ask me I think just getting the conversion done in that time is a bloody good effort - especially considering none of us are mechanics or had done a conversion before.

Then you wont be sitting there with a busted motor thinking "I wish I had of pulled it down and freshened it up".

Please explain how not painting my extractors and not replacing engine mounts that were perfectly fine would result in a busted motor? With the skills and knowledge I've gained from doing this I could now confidently pull the extractors off and paint them when the dust settles a bit - which I may just do :)

Any freshening up that was needed is visual or just regular servicing - hardly needs to be done when the motor is out. I couldn't afford anything to go wrong with whatever else we were doing, say if we decided to change the inlet manifold gaskets or whatever - I'm not a mechanic, I'd be purely winging it and probably end up with a mistake, I feel much safer leaving the motor untouched in that regard, I'll leave that to someone who's done it before - or try it later when everything is working and there isn't as much hinging on it.

EDIT: Also I have more photos to post if I can find the bloody card reader... :bang:

Last edited: