Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

National Warranty Company - Good/Bad Experiences?

ryanst8o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey guys,

Looking at buying a used car tomorrow and the dealer has offered me a warranty provided by National Warranty Company. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences or able to shed some light on them? It sounds all well and good however I am a bit dubious to it's authenticity.

Cheers,
Ryan

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Check the conditions. You may find that any wearing part is not covered, like I did years ago with a similar company. I had a water pump fail, about 2 years into the 3 year warranty, and found out it was not covered.:ranting:

fully_carver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Do some online searching as I was wondering the same thing. Not one person had something nice to say about them also the dealer makes money out of selling it to you.

ryanst8o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
yeah they did say things like brake pads etc aren't included (obviously fair enough)..however i did manage to negotiate a 3yr unlimited km package for $450 which i think is almost just worth the risk...?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I believe Woteva should have said "read the fine print" very very carefully..
For instance you may find wheel bearings are covered but the diff is not, and so, and so, and so on.
And don't for one minute trust the Dealer, he is not offering you a warranty,he gets paid a commission to sell you the warranty, just like the chick at Maccas gets cudos to upsell you with fries.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Great info, thanks for that!

Regarding the conditions of a warranty; we once had a minor claim knocked-back, as not being covered when we thought it was. We'd bought Mum a Honda Civic at 18 months of age, and added a Wynn's extended warranty, back then not knowing the pitfalls. Honda only had a 2yr warranty in 1991, and at 2.5yrs the rear passenger's-side central locking stopped working. Honda dealer tried to claim on warranty for the repair, and it was knocked back; the wording on what was covered was very close to "the replacement of parts and the labour involved to replace those parts", however the problem had been caused by someone not tightening some screws up properly & all the screws were still in the door so no parts had actually needed replacing. Basically, the warranty did not cover anything which was 100% labour-cost to fix.

Probably best to avoid such things rather than needing to go to demandarefund.com.au for help; but it's still good info to know. :)

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
I got many years ago through a dealer I bought a car through.

2 weeks later when the engine overheated, I went to claim warranty, but the dealer who sold it too me, never forwarded the paperwork. He essentially sold us the warranty, kept the money and never processed it. The company claimed to know nothing about our policy, period.

The car was a dud, head gaskets were stuffed, along with a warped head.

Would have cost thousands to pursue the dealer in court as well...

My advice, get a 3rd party vehicle safety check done first, before purchasing...

Up to you about buying a warranty. If hes willing to throw it in free, then sure, why not.

Ask him to throw it in free, lol....