Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice/help on upgrading modem/router combo.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about swapping out our Telstra modem for an Asus one in hopes of getting better speeds. The current one is 5 years old now and our plan has just upgraded from 500gb p/m to unlimited and we want to make the best use of it so a faster speed will help. Highest download speed we can get on torrents, games and files are about 1.4mb, my wireless network card is able to handle more than that so I think the modem is holding it back.

We live in a country town so we don't have super duper city internet.

Is the upgrade as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in? Or is there some wizardry involved in setting up the new one?

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
I wouldn't base your internet capabilities off of a torrent download, go onto a site like speedtest and check your stats there and post them here.

Some of the PC/I.T gurus will chime in

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Doubt you will see any noticeable difference moving to a different modem unless your current one isn't ADSL2+ compatible. Given your achieving high speeds I would say it is.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I checked last night. Download speed was about 18Mb/s and upload was around 0.9Mb/s.

We supposedly have the fastest plan available so I'm sure it should be higher than that but being in the countryside I'm not too sure.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I get 1.2MB down if I'm lucky and I'm practically down the road from the exchange. Your speeds are fine.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Have to agree with wraith here, those speeds are fine for adsl2+ i'd be expecting a little more on a good cable connection or NBN but that's good for ADSL 2+

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Just spoke to a Telstra rep and they said my speed is close to max. Guess I'll switch to a cable instead of wireless to see if anything changes.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
switching to cable likely wouldn't change it too much, you will get better latency but it shouldn't change your DL speed or anything too drastically.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I'm switching to have a more stable and consistent connection. Killing Floor lagged like crazy when I played it the other day and videos take forever to load.