Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Never drive in the rain with your cruise control on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE

I wonder how many people know about this?

A 36-year-old female had an accident several weeks ago and totalled her car. A resident of Wollongong , NSW,
she was traveling between Wollongong and Sydney .
It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air.

She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the policeman what had happened, he told her something that every driver should know -
NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON.

She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain..
But the policeman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplane --
when your tyres lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of
speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the policeman that was exactly what had occurred.

The policeman estimated her car was actually traveling through the air at 10 to 15 kms per hour faster
than the speed set on the cruise control. The policeman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor -
NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY,
along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed -
but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the road is dry

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the policeman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car
and sustained severe injuries

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i've always wondered what happens when you aqua plane with the cruise on, now i know. not that i have cruise control, but its a good thing to have in the back of your mind.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Thats actually not entirely true, because the Car will only travel at the limits within what is set for cruise control, The only downside of cruise control in the rain is that if you do hydroplane an you are not used to your car or the consequences linked with it you will not think to tap the brake or turn cruise off to attempt to regain control of your vehicle therefore you will have an accident. from traveling at the designated speed without control so coincidently sliding in whatever direction you end up in at the speed you were going at, +-10km/h...

The Police officer obviously attempted to earn browny points...

But the moral of the story, CruiseControl will not aid or provoke hydroplaining...

Cheers
MaT

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
1. if the car looses traction (which is what happens during aquaplaning) how does it manage to accellerate?
2. unless it bounces off something, how does it manage to fly thru the air?
3. If the car is going to aquaplane at a given speed it would not matter if cc was engaged or not.

Reaper

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, unless her 'cruise control' was a brick on the accelerator, someone has been telling porkies.

When you start to aqua plane... you've lost traction with the road... so you have lost drive... only way for the car to accelerate at this point is either gravity down a hill or magic.

It is dangerous to drive with cruise control on and traction control off. Because then cruise control will remain on and will be trying to keep the wheels going a constant speed. So unless you tap the brakes to disengage it will keep spinning the wheels and make it very hard to regain control of the car.

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I drive in the rain with cruise control on all the time. Never had any problems when it's been on.

The way cruise control works is by checking the speed and comparing it to what cruise is set at and adjusting the throttle accordingly. Thus, is your wheels start spinning faster your speed goes up (same when you do a burnout) and it reaches the speed quicker where it limits the throttle. There is no way for a properly working cruise control module to put you over the speed limit even when there is no traction, unless it's on a down hill slope.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
when you start to aqua plane... You've lost tracion with the road... So you have lost drive... Only way for the car to accelerate at this point is either gravity down a hill or magic.

/end thread

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I want to know why police are suggesting to not use cruise on wet and icy pavements? Surely it is safer to stay off the footpaths?

Sounds like an American story twisted to suit Australia. Still trying to work out how exactly a car accelerates magically because cruise is set when aquaplaning...not like the wheels can spin any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.