Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New car battery - How charged are they?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you walk in to the local Repco, Supercheap, Battery world or wherever and pick up a battery how charged would it be ? I guess they are fully charged from factory but how long will it hold it's charge for?

I bought a repco battery for my brothers car and oil and filter to do a minor service as he said his honda was starting slowly and it had been a while since the last service.
3 weeks later we got a chance to put it in and it started ok but not 100%, like it was not fully charged.

Hope it was just the battery, not the fact he had been running around with only 2 Litres of oil in his Accord and starting to dry out the bearings ??:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No battery people on here? Do the shops recharge all their batteries in stock once a month or something?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
From what I know new batteries are fully charged from factory before being put in stock and just left like that.
If you have a fully maintenance free one they last quite a while and discharge very slowly, so when you get a battery it should be fully charged, or at least close to it.

Ive bought 3 new batteries from Battery world in the last couple of years and all have been fully charged, when I get them to fit it they perform a full test with CCA results and charge/drain with various things on in the car so is easy to see what it puts out.

Used to work in a place that used maintenance free batteries for equipment they built, we got them in on a several pallets from Japan and stored them for months and months and months before being put into use, then when needed they were still fully charged.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, it really depends on how long they have been sitting on the shelf and the type of battery it is but it have more than enough charge to easily start the engine. Just give it a good run and it will soon be 100%.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just like anything you buy look at the labels and get the newest one you can as well.

My last battery I did this and the ones at the front I think were about 2 months older.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
May not be battery, worn brushes in starter will give same effect as flat battery.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Working in a tyre shop, none have ever charged batteries whilst they have been sitting on the shelf.....When they were fitted to a car, we start the car just to make sure the battery actually has enough charge in it to crank and fire it.

Every 3 to 6 months, the battery rep would come around, swap over batteries and what they did with the swapped out ones, I have no idea.

I used to buy what was known as 2nd's....There were new batteries at a discounted price, but I can only assume, these were ones that had been sitting in a shop and bought back to the warehouse before being onsold to tight asses like me