Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Commodore - 2018 First Look

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
d04cb8dbd0975ffba9438d83865fa89a

I hope the kill switch makes it into the final interior design.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Looks to me like the used Commodore market will he hot for good quality used ones since real Commodores will be no longer available.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm buggered if I can understand what the objection to using the Commodore name on the new car is.

"Commodore" was never a Holden nameplate - we all know the VB was a heavily re-engineered mix of German Kommodore and Senator models and the name itself originated in Germany. It wasn't until the VE that any German engineering or design influence disappeared - every previous Commodore was based on the Opel equivalent model.

Anyway, it's of no matter really. The Commodore will never again be a significant model on the Austalian market, because it's a five door largish sedan and we all know that Australians don't want such cars in large numbers anymore. It will just be a niche model, selling to fleets and a diminishing number of private buyers.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm buggered if I can understand what the objection to using the Commodore name on the new car is.

"Commodore" was never a Holden nameplate - we all know the VB was a heavily re-engineered mix of German Kommodore and Senator models and the name itself originated in Germany. It wasn't until the VE that any German engineering or design influence disappeared - every previous Commodore was based on the Opel equivalent model.

Anyway, it's of no matter really. The Commodore will never again be a significant model on the Austalian market, because it's a five door largish sedan and we all know that Australians don't want such cars in large numbers anymore. It will just be a niche model, selling to fleets and a diminishing number of private buyers.

Exactly right , it's only the last two models VE and VF that were all Australian , they were until then based on a dated German Opel design and slightly tweaked for Australian and NZ conditions .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Exactly right , it's only the last two models VE and VF that were all Australian , they were until then based on a dated German Opel design and slightly tweaked for Australian and NZ conditions .

As somebody who was driving Holdens long before the Commodore was created, I can recall that there was no stink when the Kingswood name died. They did run ads saying that it was going out of production but by then, few people cared because the new Commodore was going gang-busters. Likewise the Torana name. It's more highly regarded now than it was when in production.

Names come and go. Not so long ago, members here were having hissy-fits because the Commodore Coupe was going to be called Monaro.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Rather than slightly tweaked, they were made even more dated ... dunno what was in a Rekord, but doubt it can have been as archaic as the 3300/2850!

The objection to using the Commodore name is because it's a dumb move.
People with an interest in RWD &/or V8eyness are going to be turned-off by the fact the Insignia is neither; even if in the market for a Camry, people of that mindset won't even bother to test-drive an Insignia with a Commodore badge (whereas they might if it was badged Insignia).
People with little interest in cars at all will equate the Commodore name with the archaic backwards mechanicals & interiors & equipment that the Commodore name has stood-for until VF; so they'll also discount a Commodore-badged Insignia without driving one, too.

2001 Pontiac GTO, anyone?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Rather than slightly tweaked, they were made even more dated ... dunno what was in a Rekord, but doubt it can have been as archaic as the 3300/2850!

The objection to using the Commodore name is because it's a dumb move.
People with an interest in RWD &/or V8eyness are going to be turned-off by the fact the Insignia is neither; even if in the market for a Camry, people of that mindset won't even bother to test-drive an Insignia with a Commodore badge (whereas they might if it was badged Insignia).
People with little interest in cars at all will equate the Commodore name with the archaic backwards mechanicals & interiors & equipment that the Commodore name has stood-for until VF; so they'll also discount a Commodore-badged Insignia without driving one, too.

2001 Pontiac GTO, anyone?

Reckford was more for Autobahn blasting , I've driven the Holden Igsignia VXR and it's not too bad , die hard rear drive fanboy's will disagree and all power to them .