Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Commodore - 2018 First Look

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Rather than slightly tweaked, they were made even more dated ... dunno what was in a Rekord, but doubt it can have been as archaic as the 3300/2850!

The objection to using the Commodore name is because it's a dumb move.
People with an interest in RWD &/or V8eyness are going to be turned-off by the fact the Insignia is neither; even if in the market for a Camry, people of that mindset won't even bother to test-drive an Insignia with a Commodore badge (whereas they might if it was badged Insignia).
People with little interest in cars at all will equate the Commodore name with the archaic backwards mechanicals & interiors & equipment that the Commodore name has stood-for until VF; so they'll also discount a Commodore-badged Insignia without driving one, too.

2001 Pontiac GTO, anyone?

So you're suggesting that the far more advanced VE and VF won't count for anything in the minds of prospective buyers and they'll relate the next Commodore to all the pre-VE's, despite what will eventually be over eleven years production of a much more modern and recent vehicle?

Doubt it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So you're suggesting that the far more advanced VE and VF won't count for anything in the minds of prospective buyers and they'll relate the next Commodore to all the pre-VE's, despite what will eventually be over eleven years production of a much more modern and recent vehicle?

Doubt it.
If you had preconceptions based on VB through VZ about cheap outdated interiors with clunky switchgear that falls off in your hands, looking in or even spending a cab-ride in a VE isn't going to change that preconception. It's more like 1996 than 2006 in there ... because in Commodore-land, 1996 was more 1988 with a few swoopy-but-mismatched bits of plastic applied in an attempt to give the impression the door-trim follows the line of the dash ...

And if you drove a VE, chances are it'd have that HFV6; now yes, if you had chaff that needed threshing I can concede you could get enthusiastic, but otherwise ...

I don't think we'd have bought a VF, if it had a VE interior; not when spending ~$60k on a car.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Doubt it.

Badge snobs are badge snobs.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
If you had preconceptions based on VB through VZ about cheap outdated interiors with clunky switchgear that falls off in your hands, looking in or even spending a cab-ride in a VE isn't going to change that preconception. It's more like 1996 than 2006 in there ... because in Commodore-land, 1996 was more 1988 with a few swoopy-but-mismatched bits of plastic applied in an attempt to give the impression the door-trim follows the line of the dash ...

Wow you really have a jaded view of Holden's ability to create appealing interiors. Last time I checked all interiors are plastic and many, many are made from cheaper poor-quality materials than little old Holden operating on a limited budget. Crisp, attractive instruments have always been a Holden strong point since VP and fit and finish became a focus from VT in 97. 'Affordable' Toyotas and Nissans et al had horrible interiors back in the 90s even with their budgets. It took Japan years to take interiors seriously and the Koreans have only started getting it right recently. I've driven two AMGs in the past 12 months and while the quality is higher (it'd bloody want to be for the price!), a lot of it is perceived quality and there's still nasty plastic and sharp edges to be found out of site. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're very much in the minority thinking Holden interiors have always been dated and poor quality. While we're being opinionated about interior design, I feel the VF is one of the least resolved of any Commodore -too many conflicting influences and materials. Ditto with the outside.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not a fan of the VF exterior ... well, no, that's not fully true; more accurate to say I don't think it's as good as the VE was on release.
The VF is a bit of a mishmash, but for some reason I don't mind it despite that; main thing is the buttons feel right, all the minor controls have a proper look & feel to them. The indicator stalk doesn't feel like it's going to fall off (OK the VS never had ANY problem with any of the controls on the indicator, but it felt like it was about to snap from when it was brand new).

Don't forget that "affordable" Toyotas and Nissans were considerably cheaper to buy than Commodores!

One other issue ... this is about perception, not reality. Negative perception takes a long time to fade. I knew a number of people who claimed they'd never buy a Nissan in the late 90's, despite that being when they were at the peak of their longevity/reliability, because Datsuns were "so crap". It takes a long time to go away.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
This is a big call for Holden. I certainly don't think current Commodore enthusiasts will endear themselves to the thought of an overseas sourced FWD, 4 cylinder/ V6 hatchback with a Commodore badge on it sitting in their driveway. Change can be a hard thing to deal with at times, especially when we get older. Since it's primarily aimed at fleet sales it will take time for the retail Holden buyer to be won over. At this point in time for me I am happy to buy a 2017 VF and treasure it. I, along with everyone else, will deal with the 2018 model and it's variants when they appear. Expectations will be high, and there is a lot at stake.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Can someone say Citroen CX.....just needs the wheel spats. Maybe HSV can provide that go fast part.

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Well I suppose you could take it one step further and drop the Holden badge as well, after all there will be nothing Holden left once the VF dies, may as well just call them Opels or Chev's or what ever they really are.

Personally I don't really care what they call it, no V8, no RWD ...... not for me, maybe for the wife but not for me.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

And if you drove a VE, chances are it'd have that HFV6; now yes, if you had chaff that needed threshing I can concede you could get enthusiastic, but otherwise ...

I don't think we'd have bought a VF, if it had a VE interior; not when spending ~$60k on a car.

That's a pretty narrow area to base your perceptions on - the interiors. I'll agree that, prior to VT, Commodore interiors looked and felt very cheap and nasty. Even the Calais couldn't hide its terribly basic roots.

But from VT on, I believe Holden started to realise that the interior played as much a part in influencing buyers as external styling. Yes, heaps of plastic, but what doesn't today, and it DIDN'T look cheap and nasty. You must have experienced some duds if you had switchgear failing or breaking. I've had three Commodores prior to my VY, and none of them displayed any inclination to break switches. The VY just didn't break anything (including speed limits but that's another story).

I'll also accept that the VE interior was easily the worst part of that model and WAS cheap and nasty - difficult to understand really in light of the immense development cost. But the VF has lifted the Commodore on that score tremendously. While some models are a bit busy and there is a bit too much interior chrome trim, I'd have a VF anyday if it suited my needs.

When I posted earlier, I was referring to the fact that the modern Commodore has an advanced quad-cam V6 (yeah, there are better, but it's still an advanced design), 6 speed manual or auto, fully independent suspension, four wheel discs, advanced primary and secondary safety features including an immensely strong body shell. All hardly prehistoric stuff and certainly in keeping with modern design.

You're being bloody hard on Holdens, yet you own one. Why?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Because I'm not a one-eyed fanboi, and I know the reality of the situation.

An old model doesn't have to be any good for an objective buyer to buy a current one, when it's improved. But I'd suggest a LOT of buyers aren't subjective; the Commodore badge has a residual odour of low quality about it, and they should've taken the opportunity to park it.