Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New HSV astra

Would you consider buying the HSV astra over similar cars in its class?E.G.subaru WRX

• Definately i think its hot

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • not sure need to find out more

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • NO i dont like it.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • its rice, i wouldnt consider buying any type of rice.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Ah, ok. They should have brought the diesel Vectras out here. Really nice engines. Powerful and very fuel economic too. Even driving them hard you struggle to get the consumption over 7 or 8 litres per 100 km.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
ah that's a shame, i would've loved to have seen vectra vxr's on aussie roads, ah well.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Top gear road tested a Vectra VXR.. or whatever they had there (turbo Vectra, basically).. and it was a heap! It was the undisputed king of understeer, it's almost funny how bad it was. Should find a clip of it and link it up :)

Edit - here's a small part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfhxsc2iYs

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
It does look bad! It's funny how diffrent reviews give completely opposite verdicts on it. Evo magazine wrote that it was a match for the WRX and EVO 9, and also raved about it's balanced predictable handling! Mind you, I don't think Jeremy Clarkson has ever said a positive word about ANY Vectra, so his opinion is no surprise really.

If you search for Vectra VXR evo group test on Google.co.uk it brings the Evo article up, but I can't link it as it then asks you to register before reading the article.

Last edited:

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeh there is just a little bit of bias there lol, but I think it may have had a good word out of him, if it was good.

Predictable handling? Sure, predictable in the fact that it doesn't! lol

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Front wheel drive + 4 cylinder + turbo + $43,000 = you got to be kidding !!! LMAO !!! there's plenty of old school muscle I'd spend that sort of cash on... atleast it could have been 4 wheel drive.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Just watched the Top Gear test on the Astra VXR and it has the same problem as the Vectra VXR. Too much power going to the front wheels so lots and lots of understeer.