Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Replacement Keys

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Ecotec White Vs Commodore Utility
Ok guys, here is one of many solutions.

Laverton Rubble and Riches market (held on Sat/Sun 9am-4pm), has a key cutter that does Commodore keys for $78.00 as of 30th April 2011. I got my VS series 3 done, very professional machines. Took only a few minutes, and all i did was start the car with the new key (had to open with old one). So no i have a brand new spare key.

Expect to pay $1.00 entry fee, and empty your wallets for all the other interesting wares displayed at the market.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is how to replace your Holden key, well its what i did when Holden wanted $150 to replace and program.

1 - Buy a replacement shell / case off ebay, like this one REMOTE KEY SHELL SUITS HOLDEN COMMODORE VS VT VX VY | eBay

2 - Take the screw out of you key and remove the blade.

3 - Pry the 2 halfs of your key apart, be careful not to damage the gizmo's inside. Once you get it open you will notice at the bottom it had broken. Holden made it so you cant pry it apart without breaking it. Dirty bastards!!

4 - Replace the battery you see, cost me $3 from Dick smith.

5 - Remove the gizmo and put it into the new shell, be sure to get the seal into the groove.

6 - Clip the other half of the shell on and use the new screws supplied to screw in the key blade. Make sure its nice and tight and the key blade doesnt wiggle.

7 - Test out your new key; unlock, lock, boot, start engine. Discard the old ****.

You have now spent $13 for a new key!!!

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
Hi
just been on the web site and ordered two new replacement sets of buttons

thanks for the tip

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
when you post and say your car won't start and you need a tow truck or you cut your hand trying to open shell

remember you saved $50

bennord

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
Replacement Key Buttons

I bought Replacement Key Buttons! The trouble with them is that after a while they keep coming out when you push the buttons. I asked the question to the Ebay seller on the replacement moulded shells and he replied that all the buttons are a 1 piece rubber mould inside the key shell like the original. I just ordered 2 Key moulds of ebay for $12 (Includes postage)
Eagers in Brisbane want $88 for a new key, includes programming.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have priced new keys from both our local locksmith and Holden, from memory Holden were about $25 to $30 dearer to supply 2 new keyheads and program them. Not sure which way to go yet, the locksmith programs the keys by taking the code from a working old key where as Holden take the codes from the cars computer using tech 2, I am undecided as to whether the Holden way might be better. I don't know whether VX's have a rolling code set up or not, and if the locksmith actually sets it up properly. Both my keys are the originals and still work ok but the buttons are stuffed.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have priced new keys from both our local locksmith and Holden, from memory Holden were about $25 to $30 dearer to supply 2 new keyheads and program them. Not sure which way to go yet, the locksmith programs the keys by taking the code from a working old key where as Holden take the codes from the cars computer using tech 2, I am undecided as to whether the Holden way might be better. I don't know whether VX's have a rolling code set up or not, and if the locksmith actually sets it up properly. Both my keys are the originals and still work ok but the buttons are stuffed.

When holden use a tech1 or tech2 to program new ignition keys, they have a choice of either programming the new key as an "extra" key, which will allow you to still use your old keys, as well as the new one. Or they can program the new key as a completely new installation, which will leave the old keys unusable.