Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Top Gear

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
New Top Gear debuted tonight on Aussie TV on BBC Knowledge.

It was ****.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yup - but didn't anyone honestly expect anything else?

Viper and Vette were nice though.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Get rid of Chris Evans and be better

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I'm not interested in watching it. For me the original Top Gear is the only one worth watching.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Old old top gear was actually the best - pre-2002. Never aired in Australia, but plenty of episodes on youtube. 5th Gear takes on the same formula, with a few of the pre 2002 hosts. On youtube and Foxtel. It is more consumer focused but that was the aim of Top Gear when it debuted in 1977 - to inform consumers.

In the end Clarkson Top Gear became simply too predictable and boring.
1. Road test a hypercar on a racetrack that noone will ever see let alone afford
2. Have a 'challenge' where things are overly dramatised, or where a series of cars are put through a series of 'tests' that was well outside their design brief.
3. Get a celebrity (a B-Grade UK celebrity mostly) to do a lap in an insipid shitbox.

Some of the races/challenges are interesting but their actual road tests are rubbish and are of limited use to consumers, and its jsut a sea of arty camera work using filters.....

But that's just me.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
13312873_746781948784040_8010466120919469779_n.jpg

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Old old top gear was actually the best - pre-2002. Never aired in Australia, but plenty of episodes on youtube. 5th Gear takes on the same formula, with a few of the pre 2002 hosts. On youtube and Foxtel. It is more consumer focused but that was the aim of Top Gear when it debuted in 1977 - to inform consumers.

In the end Clarkson Top Gear became simply too predictable and boring.
1. Road test a hypercar on a racetrack that noone will ever see let alone afford
2. Have a 'challenge' where things are overly dramatised, or where a series of cars are put through a series of 'tests' that was well outside their design brief.
3. Get a celebrity (a B-Grade UK celebrity mostly) to do a lap in an insipid shitbox.

Some of the races/challenges are interesting but their actual road tests are rubbish and are of limited use to consumers, and its jsut a sea of arty camera work using filters.....

But that's just me.

Yeah, but isn't that the point of it?
For the last decade Top Gear had been more about some entertainment then being informational. Granted, it started to get a bit ridiculous towards the end, but proved it wasn't taking anything too seriously. I've seen some original episodes and very early second series and to be honest apart from Clarkson and his way with words, its pretty boring. Not what I would sit down and watch anyway.

I haven't seen the new Top Gear yet, not sure if I will. But I will give the other new "Top Gear" a shot when its released.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Exactly sleepa! Shows are successful when they're entertaining. People want to see super and hyper cars and experience them through the presenters BECAUSE they'll likely never own one.

If I want consumer advice I'll watch reviews on YouTube.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Yeah, but isn't that the point of it?

Yes, it was a fun show not designed to be technical. The show was even appealing to females who are not into cars.

Love them or hate them, Clarkson, May and Hammond worked well together bouncing off each other keeping the audience entertained. I am a huge Clarkson fan, his sense of humour is one I like, sardonic and non PC. He isn't afraid to say what he thinks and doesn't care if he offends.

No one can replace the formula those 3 have, TG is those 3. For that reason I refuse to watch any copy cat show or TG with different hosts. Much like I refuse to watch remakes of great films eg: The Pink Panther. Peter Sellers is Inspector Clouseau. Steve Martin isn't even funny let alone try to mimic Peter.