Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEW VE OWNER - SERIOUS QUESTIONS

baetzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE
Hi Guys,

Don't really know much about cars but I am getting a x-force 2.5" cat back system installed.

After that I am going to get headers and a new cat and then a tune and a OTR.

When I go to my performance mechanic what tune should I ask for?

What tunes are available and can any one explain them to me in simple terms if possible?

Thanks guys

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Are you getting all this work done at the same place?
The way you have written it, leads me to think you are going to do this in stages. Save your dollars and get it all done at once, it will be cheaper.
The tune will essentially just make your car more efficient and give it some more power. Are you having a dyno tune done? If taking it to a workshop this is the preferred method.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Simplest terms, with stock components the factory tune settings are good. Not much you can do apart from turn off the transmission safety features, engine protection, and make it sound more sporty. Lipstick on a pig, pretty much what people get unless you improve the engine's (volumetric) efficiency - VE - with mechanical parts for more performance. Both efficiency and performance actually share the same tuning ideal. Warranties, emissions (smog and noise), drivability, longevity and safety work against this ideal. Oh yeah then there is superstar branded racecar "bigger is better" approach.
Anyone trained in EFI tuning can do the job close to the ideal, like a tiler or house painter it's not magic or craft or art despite accomplished work being glorious and incredibly worthwhile.
To fully understand how to direct someone on what you want the car to do may take years to master, at which point you may as well do it yourself. Suffice it that when you mention OTR and headers the tune result is a known item, whether it farts flames and digs like a drag car or purrs along like a Lion in control of earthly motion (Holden emblem) depends on your own sense of mechanical and social sympathy, safety and budget. Just make sure you and the tuner are on the same page else you can waste huge money and effort without satisfaction.

baetzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE
Are you getting all this work done at the same place?
The way you have written it, leads me to think you are going to do this in stages. Save your dollars and get it all done at once, it will be cheaper.
The tune will essentially just make your car more efficient and give it some more power. Are you having a dyno tune done? If taking it to a workshop this is the preferred method.

Yeah I am. Getting the cat first and then everything else second. Having a dyno tune yes.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Hi Guys,

Don't really know much about cars but I am getting a x-force 2.5" cat back system installed.

After that I am going to get headers and a new cat and then a tune and a OTR.

When I go to my performance mechanic what tune should I ask for?

What tunes are available and can any one explain them to me in simple terms if possible?

Thanks guys

A better question on here would be any recommendations for a tuner in ......... I would go with someone that has a good reputation tuning VE's.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There have been some very good results with the VE, earlier LSx's get better numbers, but that's all they are, numbers. You want a tune that drives well not just has a high peak number.

Choice of exhaust is questionable though, there aren't many people that like the X Force. Cheap but.

baetzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE
There have been some very good results with the VE, earlier LSx's get better numbers, but that's all they are, numbers. You want a tune that drives well not just has a high peak number.

Choice of exhaust is questionable though, there aren't many people that like the X Force. Cheap but.

I have heard/know people who are happy with it. I wouldn't mind a KPM system but they are way out of my price range.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have heard/know people who are happy with it. I wouldn't mind a KPM system but they are way out of my price range.

There are other options. For example, I do Manta, a 2 1/2" cat back is $1350 shipped for the quiet version or $1250 for the louder one. No drone and nice and deep. Comes with all gaskets, nuts and bolts.

baetzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE
Also if I install headers, cat and an OTR can someone explain to me why cars need a tune after it has had mods done to it?

Thanks