Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NG commodore first photos without camo. What do.you think?

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
I've been thinking. This might be a very good car but it's not a commodore. Commodore may have started its life as an opel but that's not what it became. It became a part of australian culture. Like vegemite or meat pies. GM shows a lack of respect for this culture and i think for Australia generally. Sounds a bit of an over reaction but to me it is like having a child that dies and then trying to replace that child with another. Give them the same name and the same bedroom and try to pass them off as the same person. It's like getting rid of vegemite and trying to tell us caviar is the same thing. Ford showed respect for their Falcon and for Australian manufacturing and Australian history. GM think the name Commodore is theirs to do with as they want. It's not. It's ours, it's Peter Brocks and Mark Skaifes, it belongs to Australia like Ned Kelly and the Hills Hoist. GM should be generous and let us have our legend and let it rest in peace. Caviar may be better thsn vegemite but it's not Australian and it's disrespectful to pretend that it is.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Smithston

We may have "made" Commodore our own, but we pinched it from Opel in the first place.

Frankly, I can't understand the fuss over GM deciding to carry the name forward onto the new model, but perhaps it's because so many members here were born after 1978 and the only "true" Holden they ever knew was the Commodore. My generation was born when the luxury model was called the Special and it came with a fag lighter and a couple of pieces of extra stainless steel trim. We didn't carE when the Special was dumped for the Belmont, or the Premier was dumped for the Calais.

It's just a name. Won't matter what they call it - it will NEVER be as significant on the Australian new car market of the future as the local Commodore has been in the past. It will only be a niche model with limited sales because that size and class of car is losing popularity in this country very quickly.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Bring back the Premiers, they were the best.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I can't help but think of cars like the Cadillac that went to front wheel drive (was that the 80's?) and then back to rwd again later in life.
The old toyota celica was rear wheel drive, and then front wheel or 4wd. Except the celica supra, which just retained the supra name and kept rwd.
cars change, people over react, water passes under the bridge, life goes on, it doesn't matter.
Many will be of the opinion that they will refuse to ever own a fwd commy, others won't care.
I don't like the ls1 because it replaced the 'real' holden engine. but one day I'll probably own one because I will have moved on.

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
It's more than a name change or a change in configuration. It's the very end of Aussie motoring.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can't help but think of cars like the Cadillac that went to front wheel drive (was that the 80's?) and then back to rwd again later in life.
The old toyota celica was rear wheel drive, and then front wheel or 4wd. Except the celica supra, which just retained the supra name and kept rwd.
cars change, people over react, water passes under the bridge, life goes on, it doesn't matter.
Many will be of the opinion that they will refuse to ever own a fwd commy, others won't care.
I don't like the ls1 because it replaced the 'real' holden engine. but one day I'll probably own one because I will have moved on.

^^^^ I don't know this guy at all!!!!

LOL

To me it looks like a mash of other car designs cause they are trying to please everybody. I'll most likely never own one cause I like RWD and there handling characteristics, I suppose I could drive a FWD car in reverse all day....:D

Seems stupid that GM didn't want to sell Holdens in the US when this thing will be sold in the US under the Buick badge.

Last edited:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon

But the LS1 is a better engine in every way that counts...

Time will tell with the new commodore.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But the LS1 is a better engine in every way that counts...

Time will tell with the new commodore.

So is the hot blond daughter of my neighbor next door but I haven't traded up there either.......

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Nice looking car. Shouldnt have a commodore badge on it though.