Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise defect

Elle9411

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Hey guys just needing some help my car got a defect notice for having no muffler, I was not aware it did not have one as I only just brought the car and got it pink slipped, how do I go about getting the defect notice lifted all he gave me was a fine thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Exhaust shop and have it put to stock standard.

Surely you MUST have known it was noisy. Did it come with RWC?

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Usually you have to go to a registered exhaust shop, they do a noise test and you need to be under certain amount of decibels depending on age of car. Would of thought the fine would say if you needed to go over pits etc.
Did he put a noise meter on your car?

Elle9411

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
I had it looked over by a mechanic said everything was fine,its louder then normal due to having sports exhust, fine did not say anything besides ise vehicle not comply standard emissons/silences he only looked over the car didn't put a noise meter over it, pretty much gave us the fine and speed off

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
was the defect major or minor refer to the notice itself , you may have only x amount of days to fix the issue or issues at hand and weather a full Roadworthy is require to clear it or a quick inspection at local roads department to confirm repairs have been carried out as per defect notice ????

been hit twice now for excessive noise (two separate vehicles ), just had to have the vehicles tested for sound levels a notice from the testing station and mailed to prick roads .
was never stopped just received notice in the mail .. thanks to some lazy arse copper who believed my car was too noisy or had a faulty exhaust system .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just got the car pink slipped? Isn't that a roadworthy for change of ownership or to re-register a car? If so, how long ago was this done? Isn't there a certain period that the roadworthy is valid?

You might have a come back on the person that did the roadworthy for this defect.....It all depends if the roadworthy period is still valid and you'd also have to prove that the exhaust is the one fitted at the time of the roadworthy, which isn't too hard to do....

Food for thought

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
was it the rear resi delete mod im pretty shore if it had no mufflers at all it would have fail the the pink slip ,does it say on the defect notice where to go to clear the defect my younger brother been done here in newy for noise and had to go to the epa in sydney

ring the RMS and ask also pinkslips /E checks are good for six months

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Just got the car pink slipped? Isn't that a roadworthy for change of ownership or to re-register a car? If so, how long ago was this done? Isn't there a certain period that the roadworthy is valid?

You might have a come back on the person that did the roadworthy for this defect.....It all depends if the roadworthy period is still valid and you'd also have to prove that the exhaust is the one fitted at the time of the roadworthy, which isn't too hard to do....

Food for thought
"Just got the car pink slipped?"
that's what I noticed.
Yes, it's an annual requirement that specifies the vehicle is 'Roadworthy'. Getting pinged for 'unroadworthy' when you just got it passed means one of those is wrong or it was changed afterwards. If it's unchanged and the pink slip is still valid you could show up where you got the RWC done.
As the small fish in the pond on this occasion you might end up just having to eat it and get the pipes put quiet.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
"Just got the car pink slipped?"
that's what I noticed.
Yes, it's an annual requirement that specifies the vehicle is 'Roadworthy'. Getting pinged for 'unroadworthy' when you just got it passed means one of those is wrong or it was changed afterwards. If it's unchanged and the pink slip is still valid you could show up where you got the RWC done.
As the small fish in the pond on this occasion you might end up just having to eat it and get the pipes put quiet.

Might be a small fish in the pond, but sometimes being that small fish in the pond voicing your opinion on matters like this to the relevant authorities can avoid future small fishes being caught out in the same way. And I'm not referring to the place the RWC was done either for voicing your opinion either.

I'm the first to admit, I'm unsure on what the valid time frame is for a pink slip, hence me putting it out there for consideration. So it's upto the OP to decide whether he or she wishes to check into it, or be that little fish and let it slide