Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NT Open Speed Limit

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
It's now officially legal to go fast in a 204 kilometre stretch of public road in the NT as the 130 kilometre an hour speed limit is no more.

Will go for a cruise as soon as it gets light and take a look.

Will film some of it and if it is of sufficient quality I'll post it up.

Cheers

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike

Above is a pic of my speedometer on cruise control from Alice Springs to Ti Tree.
The video I took with my iPhone was not very good so that will have to wait until I get organised with my GoPro and save up for some fuel to burn as that tends not to last very long at high speed.

Didn't see any Italian or German sports cars out there when I was cruising but did see highway patrol who pulled over someone. Don't know what they did as I went passed at 190 kilometres an hour. I was out there for about 3 hours and most people were doing between 100kph and 140kph.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Chickoree that looks like fun
ezatyzug.jpg

What car is that?!

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
A 1995 VS Clubsport

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

Above is a pic of my speedometer on cruise control from Alice Springs to Ti Tree.
The video I took with my iPhone was not very good so that will have to wait until I get organised with my GoPro and save up for some fuel to burn as that tends not to last very long at high speed.

Didn't see any Italian or German sports cars out there when I was cruising but did see highway patrol who pulled over someone. Don't know what they did as I went passed at 190 kilometres an hour. I was out there for about 3 hours and most people were doing between 100kph and 140kph.

I'm more worried that you were doing 190km/h and still using your phone to take a picture.

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
I'm more worried that you were doing 190km/h and still using your phone to take a picture.

Fair point.

During the 3 odd hours that I was travelling at 190kph I also took one hand from the steering wheel and drank from a water bottle, scratched my head/nose, adjusted my sunglasses, adjusted the cruise control buttons, adjusted the drivers side sun visor, opened a packet of Hubba Bubba Bubble gum and put a piece in my mouth, played around with the climate control, messed around with the car audio system and forwarded through songs and adjusted volume among many other things.

Does anyone superglue their hand to the wheel in the 10 o'clock - 2 o'clock position for the entire duration of their driving time.

I took the picture while the road was completely empty ahead and behind me. No car was visible in either direction.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It's a idea that's open for debate having no enforced speed limits , if it , as been proven reduce crashes , as people are concentrating on driving , but when there is a crash it's not going to end well . My own thoughts if the road conditions allow go for gold . But try not to take a photo of it . ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ the issue at 130kph is the other idiots - pushing their farm thrasher 4wds or cheap ass tourists in the smallest no frills fwd hire cars - tracking over white lines and bouncing off.
That road ain't no autobahn.
pesejena.jpg

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
In Wait Awhile we don't even have a legal limit of 130 anywhere I don't think...great northern highway all the way up from perth (eg..to newman its 1200k's) its 110.....well,thats the signposted limit at least.
Triple road trains can be dicey...there is only one option to get past swiftly GUN it..("sorry officer,gee she picks up well from third hey" :smoking:)

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Highway patrol probably pulled them over for using their phone while driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk