Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NT Open Speed Limit

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
^^ the issue at 130kph is the other idiots - pushing their farm thrasher 4wds or cheap ass tourists in the smallest no frills fwd hire cars - tracking over white lines and bouncing off.
That road ain't no autobahn.
pesejena.jpg

couldn't agree more , as often happens in NZ, a tourist from Smelly Fart Arkansas in a camper van , will often drift over into the wrong lane , into the path of a swiftly moving car travelling in the opposite direction , if they do this on a road with no speed limits , well , :bomb: and then :rip:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
As an old fart I have no issue whatsoever with a decent speed limit or as in NT unlimited speed limit.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Hey motiv,

Was the road nice and smooth? I can't imagine the old nanny country making an open speed limmit unless the road was absolutely perfect. Would be interesting to take my car up there for a bit of fun.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Smooth roads in Australia?? :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
Obviously in the NT, revenue raising isnt a priority like other states. While i dont really agree with open
speed limits, I do agree that some of our limits are way too low for the modern car designs, but before anyone jumps
on that comment, I realize its the driver, not the car that at times controls the speed at which you should drive.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Main issue I see is that you have people whose driving tuition stopped at 90kmh then allowed to do 200kmh, in any vehicle they desire. Even if it is a HQ Monaro 350 (i.e. car with appalling dynamics)

Whilst excess speed may not cause as many accidents that govt may claim, physics mean that if you do have a lose - and it does happen - at very high speeds the outcome will probably be fatal.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
Because no ever dies from a speed related crash in ares where there are speed limits?
The issues revolve around the quality of the road, quality of driver skill and capability of the vehicle. Regardless of whether or not there are open speed limits people will still crash and burn, haters gonna hate and dick heads gonna speed.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
We did a holiday in the NT prior to the 130km/h limit, not sure what roads I was on as it is going back a while, we had a hire car VYII Commodore station wagon and it cruised very comfortably at 150km/h, even the though the roads we were on were undivided 2 lanes there was something nice about the roads, they seemed very flat and smooth with very good long range vision and the few bends that came up were very gentle, the corners seemed to be cambered nicely, all in 150 was very relaxed, it seemed similar to doing 120 on the Hume in Victoria, the Hume is very undulating and even though divided the roads we were on in the NT just seemed much nicer at high speed, we had my elderly father-in-law and my wife on board and at one stage I said what speed do you think we are cruising at, both came back and said around 120km/h we were actually at 150km/h. Don't think I would be doing 200 though not worth the risk.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I wonder how vs brakes pull up from 190kph?
Talk about pushing your car to the limits, if something went wrong, you'd be soup.
Autobahn with fast lanes great. NT roads with just 1 or 2 lanes with slow old un roadworthy vehicles, dicing with mr death.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
the Hume in Victoria,

was on that today. way to many potholes and utter poor quality of road to drive on :p
even new sections of roads such as the Nagambie bypass on the Goulburn were eyebrow raising.

it all comes down to driver training to travel at speed.
due to the very poor way the licence system is in aus, limits will not be raised to anything decent.
also the road surfaces, if they were built properly there would be no issues, but again its poor.
and lastly road design, don't get me started. Donnybrook rd turn off southbound on the Hume, lets just have a sharp 180 offcamber at 100kph that's blind, muppets :/

there was something on the autobahns in Germany on tv last night, it actually showed they have used their brains with everypart of the road and their licencing. and not to forget their accident response people. 15minutes max for one of their rescue helis to arrive from one of 36 or so stations.
unfortunately our roads aren't like that and everything else that would need to be done wont be done.

if we have drivers who cannot use their brains to merge at 40-60kph then the chaos that would ensue at those speeds would be phenominal.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Doesn't matter how good a driver you are, a blown tyre at 200+ generally don't end too well