Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak it seems!

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
Hey all. Long time no see. Just bought a 132k VX Executive 5.7 V8. Still in quite good condition, however, after doing an engine clean, fresh oil, oil filter and air filter, I parked it in the shed over night. A few days later I notice a couple of drips or oil on the floor, about 50c size?
Now I'm pretty sure it's coming from the engine to what looks like the gear box.
Any thoughts?
Cheers

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Are you saying it wasn't leaking before the service? if so maybe the filter was over tightened or the plug or washer is faulty.
Lay under the car and see where the drips are comming from, should be easier now with a clean engine.

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, good point. It wasn't leaking before the oil change! I'll roll it up on the stands and have a good look at it. Cheers

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They generally leaked from the factory
Few lucky ones out there didn't

Places to look for is
Rear main seal
Valley gaskets
Rocket cover gaskets
Sump gaskets

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok. I had a good look under the old girl and its dripping from the seal between the engine and gear box! Talking to some of the V8 crowd at work and they said its a notorious trait and just use thicker oil! It won't stop unless it replaced, but will slow it down. So what's the thickest I can use in an ls1?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What oil have you been using in it ?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Quite normal on an LS1 engine to get a leak from the oil pressure sensor, or less commonly, from the camshaft position sensor, both located at the rear top of the engine. This leak can flow down and look like it’s coming from the engine/bell housing area. The pressure sensor is easy to remove and reseal. The camshaft sensor requires the manifold to be removed. I suggest you use a small mirror to inspect the area around the sensor, spray the area around the sensor with degreaser, hose off, and see if the leak re-appears. After cleaning and drying off, you can also stick duct tape, with kitchen paper folded and attached, to the rear of the engine so that you can verify whether or not the leak is coming from the sensors. You need a 27mm deep socket to remove the oil pressure sensor.

Most people I know are using Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 synthetic on their LS1 engines, however, it's very unlikely that a thicker oil will fix your leaks.

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quite normal on an LS1 engine to get a leak from the oil pressure sensor, or less commonly, from the camshaft position sensor, both located at the rear top of the engine. This leak can flow down and look like it’s coming from the engine/bell housing area. The pressure sensor is easy to remove and reseal. The camshaft sensor requires the manifold to be removed. I suggest you use a small mirror to inspect the area around the sensor, spray the area around the sensor with degreaser, hose off, and see if the leak re-appears. After cleaning and drying off, you can also stick duct tape, with kitchen paper folded and attached, to the rear of the engine so that you can verify whether or not the leak is coming from the sensors. You need a 27mm deep socket to remove the oil pressure sensor.

Most people I know are using Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 synthetic on their LS1 engines, however, it's very unlikely that a thicker oil will fix your leaks.

Thanks but I wouldn't know where to start looking but it makes

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm lost with the location of the sensors and all but it's worth an investigation. Cheers