Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega autogus causing rough run

Webberm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
Hey there, I’ve been having some issues with my VE omega, had a couple of people look at it and not seen anything particular with answers so looking for another opinion.

The car is fitted with autogas, which seems to be causing the car to run rough when the gas is engaged. It only happens every now and then but since it’s happened twice it stopped driving the car. When standard fuel is running, no rough run but seems to just be a little less power. Also a strong gas smell when flipping over to the gas.

Had the car looked at and apparently some codes were present but nothing that would cause the engine to do such a thing so I’ve ignored it and tried to get another opinion. A mobile mechanic has told me the engine is misfiring but no codes to show it. I’ve had the car 9 months and there was no codes when I bought it and gas chamber was recleared Q3 2021.

Anybody got any ideas about it?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Was the car looked at by a LPG certified mechanic familiar with the type of system fitted to your car? Is it a factory gas injection system or an after market fitment?

Whatever the case, IIRC, LPG needs spark plugs with a different gap and heat range… AND LPG systems need specific maintenance on top of the normal maintenance.

There is a liquid line filter and a gas filter that need to be periodically replaced, a coolant temp sensors that is known to cause LPG changeover/run issues, etc.

Firstly, get the car running perfectly on petrol (with appropriate LPG spark plugs used) before you tackle any LPG run issues using an LPG certified mechanic who knows the system.

PS: ignoring codes isn’t a good strategy for a well running vehicle as codes are only flagged if there is some issue as seem by the control systems…… specifically what codes are you seeing and ignoring?

Webberm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
Was the car looked at by a LPG certified mechanic familiar with the type of system fitted to your car? Is it a factory gas injection system or an after market fitment?

Whatever the case, IIRC, LPG needs spark plugs with a different gap and heat range… AND LPG systems need specific maintenance on top of the normal maintenance.

There is a liquid line filter and a gas filter that need to be periodically replaced, a coolant temp sensors that is known to cause LPG changeover/run issues, etc.

Firstly, get the car running perfectly on petrol (with appropriate LPG spark plugs used) before you tackle any LPG run issues using an LPG certified mechanic who knows the system.

PS: ignoring codes isn’t a good strategy for a well running vehicle as codes are only flagged if there is some issue as seem by the control systems…… specifically what codes are you seeing and ignoring?
The autogas (to the best of my knowledge) was factory, every mechanic I’ve spoken to about the car before and after, indicated the system would be alright a general mechanic shop as it didn’t need much on top and what was needed, if they didn’t know could indicate someone who could do it. Any case, I’ll make sure to get it to a tank place as soon as.
Not sure on the specific codes as it was about a month and a half ago the car was looked at, can’t get the specific codes up but was strongly indicated that there was nothing to worry about with this issue.