Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

options for small storage in ute?

blazenks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu spac
Looking to work out some ways to store smaller things in my vu ute without having them just floating around while driving. What have people done for this? Things that are too small to be tied down. Any sort of smaller boxes or something like that?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I fitted a ute box in the VR, for thst exact reason. I then fitted a small tub inside the box to carry really small stuff.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I use a net on the underside of the hard lid.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've seen adjustable barriers that can be moved to different positions in the tub.
I've got a fixed barrier in the Maloo that mounts either side just forward of the tailgate and curves around from side to side. Its big enough for a couple of medium sized suitcases or a couple of tool boxes. Its quick detachable via a couple of pins.
Have also got cargo tie down rails in the Redline and Maloo.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I should mention that I also have marine carpet down. Use Velcro tabs to stop it moving around. Then I have a few small crates in the garage I use from time to time (one alway in there, with Velcro on the bottom of them. Little tubs don’t slide then.

I did this in the VP ute, I did this in my Crewman and I’m doing it in my Cross8.

I have cup holders in the tubs too. They clip in the tub liner. I’ll be adding some bigger cup holder/utensil holders in the back too.

I also replaced the bolts in the tub with large marine eyelets for tie down points. These are also good for hanging the shopping bags off. I sometimes have a bungy cord across them along the sides, and some things I use I have clips on them. Can clip to the bungy cord.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I've seen adjustable barriers that can be moved to different positions in the tub.
I made my own out of marine ply, 2 running the length of the tray, and 2 across which can be slotted into each other at different points..
The dimensions are variable to accommodate a spare wheel, plastic 10 litre jerry cans and water containers, jack and small toolbox, and our suitcases.
Then for shopping bags etc, a bungee hammock thingy hanging across from the sides of the tray.

blazenks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu spac
I fitted a ute box in the VR, for thst exact reason. I then fitted a small tub inside the box to carry really small stuff
I fitted a ute box in the VR, for thst exact reason. I then fitted a small tub inside the box to carry really small stuff.
yeah was thinking something like this. What was the box that you went with?

blazenks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu spac
I should mention that I also have marine carpet down. Use Velcro tabs to stop it moving around. Then I have a few small crates in the garage I use from time to time (one alway in there, with Velcro on the bottom of them. Little tubs don’t slide then.

I did this in the VP ute, I did this in my Crewman and I’m doing it in my Cross8.

I have cup holders in the tubs too. They clip in the tub liner. I’ll be adding some bigger cup holder/utensil holders in the back too.

I also replaced the bolts in the tub with large marine eyelets for tie down points. These are also good for hanging the shopping bags off. I sometimes have a bungy cord across them along the sides, and some things I use I have clips on them. Can clip to the bungy cord.
these are some good ass ideas thanks man!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The box I went with was a rectangle ali one from SCA. It fitted under the tonnneau. It was good for locking up valuable tools too.