Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orange light appearing on my dash board!! (VX)

jallal26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Have recently noticed a orange light that comes up on my VX dashboard of a motor or somthing with a lightning bolt going through it. does any one no what it means and how i can fix it?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Yeah, it means take it to your mechanic and get them to plug a diagnostic tool into it...
That light means something has tripped a fault code.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VU II SS
Are there any symptoms or anything odd with your car? Could be any number of things. I had this happen on my ute intermittently & 1 day at a servo she wouldn't start, but after I had driven it a few kms there.
It wound up being a stuffed starter relay (you'll find these under a skinny little black box far left under your bonnet), swapped the hi-beam relay (same relay) & so discovered my
problem.
If troubleshooting doesn't work then yeah follow Ashbox's suggestion

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Go and get the codes read. Only way to work out what it is definatly.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Wouldnt your car have an owners manual that shows the meaning of the lights?

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Jallal26, that is the engine problem light. Thing is, it coming on doesn't mean just 1 thing, it's telling you you need to investigate further. There is a thread on here *somewhere* that shows you how to manually check the codes by shorting out a circuit under the dash and counting the flashes. This is basically the only way to do it without having the specific tool (Tech2 or something from memory). If you don't feel confident in shorting out a circuit and diagnosing ring a mechanic and tell them you need a diagnosis of the engine light on your make/model.

Could be something really simple, could be something really tragic - good luck :)

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If it stays on when the car is running , then yes , a code has been tripped and needs Tech 2 diagnostic , hopefully it wont be a major .

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Wouldnt your car have an owners manual that shows the meaning of the lights?

Exactly..........when all else fails, read the instructions in your manual that will tell you what it means.

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Exactly..........when all else fails, read the instructions in your manual that will tell you what it means.

A) When i bought my car 2nd hand it didn't come with the manual.
B) The manual only states that this is an engine warning light
C) I think there's about 100 different things that could be wrong to cause this light to come on, which the manual does not state any of them.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
A) When i bought my car 2nd hand it didn't come with the manual.
B) The manual only states that this is an engine warning light
C) I think there's about 100 different things that could be wrong to cause this light to come on, which the manual does not state any of them.

No manual.......oh dear me............I hope it came with the fully filled in and stamped by whoever service book then. If not you have no idea what has or has not been done to it.