Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating and coolant "boiling like a kettle" in my reservoir

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
i was talking about running it once without the thermostat to test not as a permanent idea to solve the problem, i doubt that a one off test would do enough damage to be considered serious. also i cant see how it is emission control... but then again I'm only saying what i would do, not necessarily the be all and end all solution :)

I know, I'm not having a dig at you. I'm only voicing the right opinion for me also.

And low engine running temperatures will increase hydrocarbon emissions. It's written there.

Limpy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Update: I didn't really have time to pull out my radiator etc etc but my leads and plugs needed changing, so i did that this morning. (This is the bit i don't get) After i changed them over, my car doesn't overheat anymore. All the heating issues have now gone, it sits happily under 1/2 while driving around town and under 1/4 on the highway

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
maybe.......#### i dunno lol

just keep an eye on it lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can you post a pic of the old spark plugs?

If you have poor spark it can cause poor combustion sort of like retarding the timing to much, it's kinda hard to explain but if you retard the timing to much it can make the engine run hot, even make the exhaust manifold glow red hot. basically the combustion process is still occurring as the exhaust valve opens which means a lot more heat is transferred into the head and exhaust manifold rather then that heat been used push the piston down the bore during the power stroke. That's my understanding of it anyway :)

Hopefully that is the problem but as said above, keep an eye on it.

Keenas

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG v6 commodore ute
How do I post in this Forum, I am trying to fond the location of the Coolant Sensor & the Temp Gauge sender in my 1990 VG v6 commodore ute.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How do I post in this Forum, I am trying to fond the location of the Coolant Sensor & the Temp Gauge sender in my 1990 VG v6 commodore ute.

Go to the relevant subsection ( VN-VP in your case) and then click on the "Post New Thread" thread button at the top of the page.

Been a new member your thread might not appear straight away until it had been checked and authorised by a moderator.

In your case, the coolant temp sensor (for the ECU) and the dash board engine temp sensor are both located together near the thermostat housing which can be either at the front or rear of the engine depending which engine you have. If it's the early V6 engine the sensors are at the back of the engine and look like this,
27408d1159502463-ecotec-into-vn-vn-sensors-002.jpg

The coolant temp sensor is the lower 2 wire sensor (blue plug) and the dash gauge is the single wire sensor, black plug (the 3rd sensor is a MAT sensor).
If it's the later VN engine that has the thermostat housing on the front then the sensors are on the RH side opposite where the thermostat housing is (under where the alternator is mounted), see
64372d1152881672-buick-forward-facing-manifold-tb-image-417-.jpg

You can see the 2 sensors on the RH manifold labelled S2.