Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Owning a V8 if you're under 25??

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
What a stupid rule. Sounds like you live in a dictatorship state. I feel lucky we dont get told what we can drive. Next you will be told when you can take a crap...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A few insurance companies i got quotes from (NSW) will not allow and quite clearly state that no driver under 25 is allowed to drive my car

If i agree to that, i can get the insurance.

Other insurance companies wanted $1500-$2000 inexperience driver and under 25yr olds excesses etc etc

So even if you do get a exemption (seriously, just wait) and even if you get someone else to insure it for you in their name and registered in their name, then most likely the insurance excesses will shine through when you have an accident.

Just aint worth it.

Save ya money, get a daily for now and upgrade once ya hit 25yrs and off ya p plates.

It sucks but dont do anything silly

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Buy a VY V6 if you want a Commodore ute, and save the extra coin until you're off your Ps. The Ecotec is a boat anchor but it's about as complicated to fix as one as well, and it'll go forever while handling whatever abuse you throw at it. Plus, you won't feel bad about destroying it.

If you really must have something to show for it, only buy parts that can be reused on a VF V8 when you get one, like wheels. And you never know, you may just decide to drop an LSX in the VY when you've got your full licence instead.

/2c

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Buy a VY V6 if you want a Commodore ute, and save the extra coin until you're off your Ps. The Ecotec is a boat anchor but it's about as complicated to fix as one as well, and it'll go forever while handling whatever abuse you throw at it. Plus, you won't feel bad about destroying it.

/2c
x2. That's what they're great for.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
so you have to be 25 to get you full license in Australia.. ??? over here in NZ learners is at 16 (just been raised from 15 a few years ago)... Restricted 6 months later, and full 12 months later (with a course) or 18 months without..

So technacilly we can be full licensed by the age of 17 1/2 year old..

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
What a stupid rule. Sounds like you live in a dictatorship state. I feel lucky we dont get told what we can drive. Next you will be told when you can take a crap...

they already do its every 3 years on election night ;)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
so you have to be 25 to get you full license in Australia.. ??? over here in NZ learners is at 16 (just been raised from 15 a few years ago)... Restricted 6 months later, and full 12 months later (with a course) or 18 months without..

So technacilly we can be full licensed by the age of 17 1/2 year old..

No
Can be full licensed pending on when a person got on their red p plates and green p plates

Just that for high powered vehicles, there is a exemption for P Platers
And some insurances do not cover full licensed persons under 25 driving a high powered car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wow well that sucks looks like i wont be driving a v8 in awhile what a load of bs. So then with the VF Sv6 do they sound like **** with an exhaust on them Im expecting people that own vy's to say they are.

I don't agree with it my self....I have older cars, with V8's and modern 4 bangers out run them, but that's what the government say, so that's the way it has to be.

So as suggested, save your pennies until your 25 and get what you want then

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Insurance is a killer for a v8 if your under 25. I was paying $3500 a year full comp when i was 19 for my vx ss.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Ok thanks for all your help and advice guys. Might just have to wait and see what happens.