Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint variation.

pinedeck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi, question to any spray painters out there. I just had my car resprayed colour Red Hot. The only part I never got painted was the rear bar and boot. Rest of car was painted due to stone chips. When I picked it up they pointed out the difference of colour on my rear bar to the rest of the car, at first glance it did not look too bad.

But after looking at it at different angles and light it is doing my head in.

A far as I know they painted it to the colour code.

If I look at the boot and the rear quarter panel I can see just a slight change in colour. I was thinking that I could get them to blend the new colour onto my rear bar or even paint the rear bar. My concern is if I went either way then looking at the back, the boot would then be showing the colour change seeing this would be the only panel with the original paint on.

Could anyone give me some advice on what may work, I thought about getting the rear bar and boot sprayed that way all would match up, but I am dreading the cost factor.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
If they have the same paint they used for the rest of the car then the best option is to get the rear bar and boot painted to match.

Did you get the roof resprayed too, as it seems a little odd to get the entire car resprayed, except for 2 panels.

pinedeck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
sleepa, yes the roof was resprayed as well. Originally The front bar/ bonnet/ RH guard/ RHF door/RHR door/RHR quarter panel, both L/H and R/H canter rails and the LHF guard where to be repaired and resprayed. Then they where going to blend the LHF door and blend down off the canter rail onto the LHR quarter panel.

My concern was with blending so I paid extra so they would paint the LHF door, LHR door and the LHR quarter panel, to eliminate the blending. Hence the only panels not painted as mentioned. I never bothered about the rear bar or boot as I assumed that the new paint would colour match with the unpainted panels. The existing paint is in excellent condition, no fading etc. I am a bit fastidious with how I keep my car looking, so paint is always looked after.

Hope that all makes sense.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
There is quite a variation with factory colours of the same code.

When I painted some of my car, I had a good panel buffed and tested and it was ranked as a 'Level 2' to the paint code or something like that (1-10 scale) Therefore I can butt match panels and be pretty bang on. I also saved the paper and will take it back to the shop if I ever need to paint anything else so everything will always match.

pinedeck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I suppose I am going to have to see them tomorrow and see what they say and if need be, get the rest sprayed. When I got them to spray my rear spoiler, which was painted elsewhere and fitted, the paint was out on the spoiler and the guys that did this job as well, came out with various cards painted in red and went through them until they got one that was a near match.

I assumed that they would do the same when doing this job. But being virtually the whole car being done, they more than likely went with just the colour code.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
sleepa, yes the roof was resprayed as well. Originally The front bar/ bonnet/ RH guard/ RHF door/RHR door/RHR quarter panel, both L/H and R/H canter rails and the LHF guard where to be repaired and resprayed. Then they where going to blend the LHF door and blend down off the canter rail onto the LHR quarter panel.

My concern was with blending so I paid extra so they would paint the LHF door, LHR door and the LHR quarter panel, to eliminate the blending. Hence the only panels not painted as mentioned. I never bothered about the rear bar or boot as I assumed that the new paint would colour match with the unpainted panels. The existing paint is in excellent condition, no fading etc. I am a bit fastidious with how I keep my car looking, so paint is always looked after.

Hope that all makes sense.

Ok, That makes sense. I'm guessing that they didn't blend the rear bar and bootlid then.
You might be able to get away with blending them now, although as I am guessing you want it pretty much perfect, now that you know it doesn't match you are probably always going to know.

I still think that best option is to get the rear bar and boot painted. It might cost a bit more but will be better to have it all match up.
Also think that they might put thicker coats on then the factory did, and could be a better paint job, and your original paint is now more then a few years old so will potentially "fail" quicker/be thinner due to polishing/have more scratches in it etc then the new paint.

All other factors that could contribute to your decision.

pinedeck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Thanks sleepa I see what you are saying there. Yes I will notice it, even after this short time I notice it. At some angles it does not look too bad, I cringe when I put fuel in under the servo lights at night and see the swirl marks etc. Not that they are that noticeable any other time. Cheers guys for input that helps with the right direction to go.

Footnote: No they did not blend the boot or rear bar.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Its the new factory look :) even new commodores are sent out with slight variations in color between main panels and bumpers due the the bumpers being painted separate form the car in a total different area...

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Also:
bumpers are black plastic, metal panels are E-coat (possibly light grey or light pastel green) - What if in a $$ saving venture they are a bit tight on painting and there is a slight see through to factory paints. Therefore you will get tonal differences between the different base's.

Even 'Tiger' in the VX range was a purposeful see-through colour which made it quite different.