Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paintless dent repair on VF.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Happy New Year to all first off.:)

I HATE rats! Why? Because they have invaded the ceiling area of my garage! I smelled their particular odour last month so I went out and bought one of those ultrasonic thingames to scare them away. I thought it worked. It didn't. The other day I open the garage to find two boxes stored in the garage ceiling had fallen onto the roof and bonnet of my new VF Commodore Sportwagon (Evoke). Why? Because the little b@stards had obviously had a fight up there and knocked everything around!

The roof was okay as the box that landed there was light and it landed square on to the roof. The box which hit the bonnet was heavier and it hit on a corner because now I have a tiny new pockmark about the size of an old cent coin. I polished out the scuff in the paint with Turtle anti-swirl polish...no problems there, but the pock remains. Now most people would say "It's nothing...not worth worrying about" but I know it's there and it has really pissed me off. Needless to say that I have now put baits down and removed any other moveable objects!

When I bought the car I bought this special "keep your car pristine" panel work insurance policy through the dealer which allows you to have three years of PDR and interior cosmetic repairs on your car for a simple call-out price of $55. I've booked the car in to be fixed but I am worried about the fact that the bonnet is aluminium. I know that PDR is possible on aluminium...it's just trickier to do than steel. I'm also concerned about the repairer having to pop the sound deadening off the underside of the bonnet. Are the clips reusable? Anyone here have the experience of PDR being done on aluminium panels of their VF Commodore???

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
I had major hail damaged repaired using PDR from my ute around 10 months ago. I believe they removed 100+ in varying degrees from the bonnet.

I have not been able to find a single defect it it at all, and haven't noticed anything wrong with the sound deadener.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Happy New Year to all first off.:)

I HATE rats! Why? Because they have invaded the ceiling area of my garage! I smelled their particular odour last month so I went out and bought one of those ultrasonic thingames to scare them away. I thought it worked. It didn't. The other day I open the garage to find two boxes stored in the garage ceiling had fallen onto the roof and bonnet of my new VF Commodore Sportwagon (Evoke). Why? Because the little b@stards had obviously had a fight up there and knocked everything around!

The roof was okay as the box that landed there was light and it landed square on to the roof. The box which hit the bonnet was heavier and it hit on a corner because now I have a tiny new pockmark about the size of an old cent coin. I polished out the scuff in the paint with Turtle anti-swirl polish...no problems there, but the pock remains. Now most people would say "It's nothing...not worth worrying about" but I know it's there and it has really pissed me off. Needless to say that I have now put baits down and removed any other moveable objects!

When I bought the car I bought this special "keep your car pristine" panel work insurance policy through the dealer which allows you to have three years of PDR and interior cosmetic repairs on your car for a simple call-out price of $55. I've booked the car in to be fixed but I am worried about the fact that the bonnet is aluminium. I know that PDR is possible on aluminium...it's just trickier to do than steel. I'm also concerned about the repairer having to pop the sound deadening off the underside of the bonnet. Are the clips reusable? Anyone here have the experience of PDR being done on aluminium panels of their VF Commodore???

I'm a panel beater. Depending on their skill will depend on the outcome especially with pdr. Removing the deadener is fairly easy and yes the clips can easily break or stretch at times if u don't have the right tools. Most of the good shops will have all the right tools to do the job and when it comes to pdr it can be done many ways. I'm sure all metals can be done but once again it comes down to the skill of the tradesman.

How did it turn out?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Just seeing if anyone has had good experiences with paintless dent removal here in Sydney? Did they need to remove the trim inside to push out the dents because of the VF’s aluminium panels?

Some idiot banged their door onto mine in a car park and left damage to both the door panel and the PPF on top. :(

DentGuy82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ute
PDR is without doubt the best option for panels where the paint is not damaged make sure you do some research and choose the technician wisely, you only get one shot at it or its a trip to the body shop!

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Just seeing if anyone has had good experiences with paintless dent removal here in Sydney?
Late response to your question, but may assist someone else here in Sydney. The Dent Man, at Castle Hill. I've used Brett about 4 times, from door dings to Kangaroo indents in the middle of a door, to the recent hail damage and found him first class. Not as cheap as some out there, but certainly knows his trade.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone know of a place in Launceston who will do PDR. I tried the only place I know Mr Dingo on Wellington St South Launceston and he did not want to work on my old ute. I can take it to a panel shop but the quote is $800+.

Last edited:

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
...he did not want to work on my old ute.
I don't think many of them like touching cars with paintwork that's not 95% perfect as their glues and tools for pulling the dents don't like powdery or non glass finish paint. My daughters 5.5 year old car was just written off from hail damage as the paint was not great so they couldn't PDR it, they'd have to spray it. Win for my daughter as she was insired new for old for life.

DentGuy82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ute
The quality of the paint does play a role if access with a tool is not an option and glue pulling is the only way to remove the dent. The technician needs to assess the paintwork before making a pull. Any chips within the dent or old paint can mean you run a higher risk of pulling paint or clear coat. Hail damage can still be repaired but if the paint should fail it will need to go for conventional paint spraying.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He never mentioned damaging the paint. Paint is in great shape and I can soon paint it myself if need be. It's getting the dent repaired for $200 as apposed to $800 was my aim, if it is possible? He was more worried the panel might split along the fold. People have told me try elsewhere. I wanted a second opinion but I think he may be the only person in the North who does PDR. With a population of 90,000 I was hoping there were other people doing this but maybe not.