Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance mechanics

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I’ve got a couple more places to go to before I start looking at a normal mechanics but if I get no luck I’m probably going to have to.
TBH you're probably better off trying to go to a place that's actually good to work at and will give you job satisfaction over getting to work on shiny things, as chances are pretty good that if you land a position at a quote-unquote "performance shop" as an apprentice it will probably be a head fark. It's not really the cars (or whatever) that make a good job, if the shop management is terrible then the job will be terrible despite the things you're working on. I'm not saying all run of the mill servicing shops are all good, but there's a much better chance you'll find a good one if you look.

Any good shop worth its weight is never usually looking for people and can pretty much pick, choose, and poach the people they want, usually from a circle/community of people that know each other. This is usually why they're not looking for apprentices (and don't really need to) either. It's also a risk to take on an apprentice and invest that time in them only to have them decide they don't like the trade. This isn't to sound mean or rude, but any "performance shop" that takes apprentices off the street is likely going to be an ego tripping owner, somebody quit that week with no notice and they need a fill (and they usually quit for a good reason), cutting corners, blah blah blah... there's some reason.

Everybody has to do their time though, just because you're not doing it now doesn't mean you won't be able to do it in 2 or 3 years. Possibly try a few that specialize in one or two makes that interest you and are geared more towards regular servicing and diagnostics, as having experience in the proprietary and hard to configure systems of a manufacturer (i.e. GM's Tech 2 or something, Volkswagen systems are another good example) and the issues they cause is valuable to a lot of places, including "performance shops". Learn about constructing wiring looms and all those performance concepts on the side from a reputable source and you'll become valuable.

Or look into becoming a diesel mechanic, big bickies there and if you're good enough you get to work on V16 Cummins generator engines and trains and stuff.

Last edited: