Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Petrol

Bennyvt101

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden Commodore Equipe
Hi i recently bought a 1999 Holden Commodore VT Equipe it runs great its done just over 200 thousand kms ! I always fuel up with Octane 98 which is meant to be the best ! I dont know much about motors but i want to look after this car as best i can ! So am i doing the right thing spending that little bit extra ?
Thanks

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd be more inclined to use 95 at best in a 6.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Hi i recently bought a 1999 Holden Commodore VT Equipe it runs great its done just over 200 thousand kms ! I always fuel up with Octane 98 which is meant to be the best ! I dont know much about motors but i want to look after this car as best i can ! So am i doing the right thing spending that little bit extra ?
Thanks

If you want to look after it make sure you have it serviced with regular oil & filter changes. Most of the forum members change their engine oil & oil filter every 5,000km's or no later than every 10,000km's.
Seeing as you just bought the vehicle it would be a good idea to have a full service done. Especially if you don't know the service history of the vehicle.
Get everything replaced.....engine oil & oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, diff oil, gearbox oil. It may seem like a lot, but at least you will know that everything has been replaced with fresh new fluids.
You don't have to use 98 fuel either, as they were designed to run on 91. But at the end of the day, it's your call and it won't do any harm, it really comes down to how much you are happy to spend when filling up

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
you are p*ssing your money against a wall if you fill up with 95 or above. The premium fuels do come with 'detergent's' but you would keep your engine cleaner just by regularly servicing the oil. The higher octane won't be taken advantage of in such a low compression ratio engine. Unless you do some head work or get a specific tune there is no advantage to using premium in the 3.8 ecotec. People claim that they get slightly more mileage with premium and I can kind of agree that sometimes i "feel" like I can get more kms per tank but it is probably mostly in our heads. However there is some truth to it as I heard that some companies like BP actually use a finer blend in their premium fuels to give it a slightly higher MJ/kg (probably so that people go hey i'm getting better mileage it must be better). It really isn't worth the extra 10 or 16 cents per litre UNLESS you have a performance car designed to run it or a modded car..

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
If you want to look after it make sure you have it serviced with regular oil & filter changes. Most of the forum members change their engine oil & oil filter every 5,000km's or no later than every 10,000km's.
Seeing as you just bought the vehicle it would be a good idea to have a full service done. Especially if you don't know the service history of the vehicle.
Get everything replaced.....engine oil & oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, diff oil, gearbox oil. It may seem like a lot, but at least you will know that everything has been replaced with fresh new fluids.
You don't have to use 98 fuel either, as they were designed to run on 91. But at the end of the day, it's your call and it won't do any harm, it really comes down to how much you are happy to spend when filling up
Don't forget new coolant/coolant flush as well :)

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Don't forget new coolant/coolant flush as well :)

Don't forget the water pump, hoses, heater tap, plugs, leads, coils, DFI module, alternator, drive belt, wheel bearings, brake pads, brake rotors, handbrake shoes, wheel bearings, wheel studs, wheel nuts, tyres, rims, wiper blades & smelly tree hanging from the rear view mirror.
Anything else I have forgotten ?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
brake fluid flush, flush power steering , bled the clutch if it's a manual ,

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
In a high mileage car you're best to use the manufacturers recommendation - 91/E10 will be fine and 95 will be more than okay. 98 is overkill as stated above.

I generally try and experiment with my cars and see what they like, unless tuned for otherwise. Eg my wagon really likes Caltex 98 and it tuned for it, but I've had other cars really like oddball stuff such as United E10 or Caltex 91. Hell, my good old Chrysler Valiant with the 245ci/4L straight six loves Caltex 95 but runs equally as well on United E10. Go figure.

- boingk

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Most E10 in 94 RON so that makes sense. It's just less powerful but you probably aren't taking it down the strip either...
When the price of fuel drops really low sometimes i slip a tank of 98 in mine just for laughs and to keep it clean for what its worth :)