Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning A System On A Budget

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by holdenboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. m05tw4nt3d

m05tw4nt3d New Member

Members Ride:
    SSV WAGON
    kicker ks 6930 6x9s

hi guys im thinking about buying these to run off my amp the amps putting out 70 rhms per channel what do you think

also does anyone have these or heard theses, im going to jb later and will listen to them on there display but has anyone heard them in a car?

2. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    I've used a set of these myself, about a year ago, from memory i paid $160ish.At the time i wanted a set of speakers purely for volume, and i didn't have the time or the knowledge to fabricate something to house a decent set of front speakers, so i simply disconected the factory 4 inch dash speakers, and ran the 6x9's in the rear shelf. I ran them at 100hz of 150rms per channel. Kind of defeating the purpose of being a 6x9 running them so high, but they did go very loud. I never played around that much with them on pull pass, because i was running a sub at the time.

I'm not sure what their worth new today, but for the money, they are quite good.

3. NanoBear

NanoBear New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive wagon (soon)
    Thanks for the guide holdenboy. Didn't have much of an idea what to look for before this.

I'm looking somewhere between the $500 and $1000. When I eventually get around to doing it, its going into a wagon. Is there anything special to think about when putting together a system for a wagon? Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that the rear speakers are even less important.

4. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Youre exactly right, ive got Response 6.5" splits in the rear (just something i had lying around) and i rarely hear them, only when im at the back of the car with the tailgate open.

Nothing else really, getting good bass output from subs in a wagon is easier than a sedan....so you get more "bass for buck" in a wagon ;)

5. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    OK well ive fixed up the links so they all now work (as of 23/4/10).

Will check back every few months and update etc.

6. Bryce_VS

Bryce_VS New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina S2
    Not sure where to post this..

I got a Pioneer TS-W304C for free the other day, with a 200 watt Jensen amp. Anyone know anything about these amps or this sub?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Ok so i have been thinking about upgrading the audio in my 09 omega for a wile now but on a bit of a budget (uni student). I have a decent understanding of electronics and quite a bit of free time so i will be doing any installs myself. Because it is a ve replacing the head unit is not an option so that reduces the cost somewhat.
    What do you all think of this?
    "Soundstream LW4.500 Lil Wonder - 4 Ch Amplifier" (Because it has a high level input hence no LOC needed and relative bang for buck)
    "Sony XSGTX1620S 6" Split Speakers" (To replace the driver and passenger speakers)
    "Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 1200W Subwoofer - 4 Ohm" or "Clarion SW1251 700W 12" Subwoofer"
    Which sub should i go for?
    Also what gauge wire is needed?

PS: thanks for this thread it has been very useful

8. madmaskbass

madmaskbass New Member

Members Ride:
    Vl V8 wagon
    great thread....i REALLY wish i had read something like this when i started buying audio gear...i have just bought a new car and the ONLY thing that i have kept from the whole system is the amp and rear components..upgraded everything else...and the amp also needs upgrading i bought rubbish the first time made it sound OKAY.. install is being done today cannot wait to hear all the awesome gear..would be in the 1500 range

i loved the peice of advice about looking for other brands and of course researching and heeding great advice like this will always make a system that much better!!

the more research you do the more it all starts to sound exactly the same..as has been summed up here

9. AlexVSII

AlexVSII Member

Members Ride:
    1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
    How often do places like "Autobarn" and such have large one evening type sales?

Recently I picked up a Clarion CZ101A head unit for $90 [nothing to write home about, I know] and 2 sets of Pioneer TS-G1643R 6 inch 2 way speakers for $29-marked down from $80 each, all up coming to just under $150 all up from my local Autobarn.
    It was a one evening, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm sale and basically everything was considerably marked down. Was this just a lucky break that I happened to find out about the sale a few days beforehand or do similar events happen quite regularly?
    Moral of the story is that you can get $250 worth of stuff for $150, if you shop around and/or have a lucky break. Add in $65 for head unit installation into a VS Commodore and you have a system with change from $250-installing the speakers is a pinch so no need to pay for that to be done.

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind having the better speakers in the back on the $500 system and the better speakers in the front on the $1,000 system?

10. MAG00

MAG00 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S2 Calais
    More expensive 6x9s on the $500 budget are to compensate for not being able to afford a subwoofer in that price range.

11. m1lky

m1lky New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    I know the threads old but it might help someone else. Your budget has to be almost nil before you can't get a sub. 2nd hand they're really cheap!

The majority of your sound should come from infront of you. At a concert you face the stage.

The reason you can put a sub behind you is that the lower the frequency the less able you are to detect where it's coming from. Same reason why you can mount your mids low but need to mount tweets high.

$500 system
    100 - headunit
    100 - 4 channel amp
    150 - pair of components (most important) (don't need rears)
    100 - boxed sub (10 or 12")
    50 - wiring (8 gauge is fine)

$1000 system
    250 - headunit (4v outputs, at least front and rear)
    200 - 4 channel amp (aiming for 75+wrms x4)
    150 - boxed sub
    75 - 4 gauge wiring kit
    300 - front components
    25 -rears if you want them

Installing yourself is easy. Just post up for tips if you get stuck

12. MAG00

MAG00 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S2 Calais
    Yeah, I might get some advice from Sweefu sometime (I know he's really busy atm) and we'll get a new list done up, along with suggested models etc.

13. vs3.8ute

vs3.8ute Member

Members Ride:
    Cammed VE SSV
    Hey just looking for some tips in buying slimline/ ute subs??

14. Antonvlahos

Antonvlahos New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VXII SS 5.7Lt
    I managed to get a really good Sub/Amp combo $100 for both from Repco now just need to get an enclosure and a power cable cuz i have the other cables already in my car

15. r3d

r3d New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive S2
  16. dingeldei

dingeldei New Member

Members Ride:
    Statesman
  17. Nic92

Nic92 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9, 1989 Pajero
    I think back then I payed $180 for the R900BT which came with 5v pre outs and 3 sets of rca outputs and bluetooth.

18. 1994vr

1994vr New Member

Members Ride:
    1994 VR Executive
    i always buy for clarity personally. get a really nice headunit such as an alpine or a higher end clarion. i have a clarion then two quite expensive high end pioneer coaxials in the front and rear. i have the rears amplified by a 40 watt vintage kenwood amp that is made in japan. it sounds really nice. thats just my input. clarity satifies me more than SPL.