Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plastic Dip vs Paint for Wheels

cello_g

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 SV6 VE 2 LLT
I want to spray the stock rims on my VE Series 2 SV6 to matte black. I am wondering what the pro's and cons of using paint vs plasti dip and what people's experiences are with both. Also has anyone used VHT brake caliber paint? If I wanted to spray these as well what would I need to consider?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Never used plasti dip, but herd they peel over time.. Paint just make sure a clear coat is chucked over top to help protect from stone chips. re VHT caliber paint just make sure you give the caliber a VERY good clean with prepsol or similar to remove ALL grease and oils.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
My wheels are plasti dipped , been that way for a year or so now with no peeling,just make sure the wheels are clean and apply at least four coats of dip.

20160626_162439.jpg 20160626_162451.jpg

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Plasti dip does not react well to tyre shine. Plasti dip will peel over time. There are clear coats for plasti dip. But I would only use plasti dip on wheels to see if I like a certain colour before I use a more permanent paint.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
I've used tyre shine on mine and never had it react with the plastidip

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder

cello_g

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 SV6 VE 2 LLT
Cheers guys thanks for the info.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Alright then, guess I was misinformed about the tyre shine.

I used plasti dip on my badges, and it has started to peel. Maybe I didnt put enough on? I'll do more coats next time.

R

Risky

VHT caliber paint just make sure you give the caliber a VERY good clean with prepsol or similar to remove ALL grease and oils.

Totally agree

I spent ages cleaning the hubs & calipers. Scotchbrite the areas first & then use 1500 wet & dry. Prepwash & mask the brake pads and other areas. If you get any paint on the disc, just give it a quick wipe with prepwash. If there's a little bit of overspray then dont worry as the brake pads when in use will get rid of it. From start to finish it took me 3.5 hours and it was worth it. The prep work takes the most time. using pressure packs is easy.