Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plastic melted onto extractors

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi everyone,

was driving home the other night and noticed a burning plastic smell. didn't take much notice of it as i thought it was one of the cars ahead of me. last night when driving i smelt it again and realised it must have been my car.

when i got home i got underneath and to my horror saw that there is some kind of plastic bag i assume melted to my nearly new HPC coated extractors.

have done some research into how to get the plastic off. doesn't seem like there is a good way.

wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get it off, or encountered it before and gotten the plastic off with any success?

thanks

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hahahahahahahahahahahaah

I had EXACT same issues but was more on the exhaust side but just past the flange

What a stink it brings up, i remembered running over it also
Smells like a hot smell and i was thinking the oil on extractors until looking further and seeing the melted bag

I scraped off what i could whilst was cold using a chisel.
If warm, it will smudge

Has taken about 3 months but finally burning off and finally hardly smelling

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yep this is on the collector, almost at the flange. yep is farkin stinks!

looks like i might have to jack it up and scrape as much as possible off and then put up with the smell until it has all gone :(

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh is what i did.

Mine is finally burning off. Has taken such a long time as it is far down from the headers so doesnt get blaring hot like i was hoping to burn it off.
Mine is like plastic glass as has coated the exhaust and looks like glass now so possible to get off with like a sander perhaps but thats another hard when no sander around.

Is embarrassing in grid lock traffic as if you smell it, other can smell also.

But good news is, its not oil or a leak.