Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Noise

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by Huthy, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Huthy

Huthy New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
    Just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced Power Steering problems.

Mine is making a strange whining noise on low speed, under 20km/h turns. It doesn't matter if it's hot/cold, in/out of gear, air conditioning on/off. It's not the typical air in the fluid noise...

To me it sounds like high pressure fluid being pushed through the rack, a sit only happens when the steering wheel is being moved...

It's not overly loud, but at an annoying level that you hear an know something is not right...

Strangely Holden can't replicate it... The workshop manager came for a drive with me, and heard it, proclaiming he thought it was the rack... But then they couldn't replicate it on the hoist...:bang:

2. DanoSS

DanoSS New Member

Members Ride:
    VY II SS
    Yep ive got the same noise, just an irritating whine while you move the wheel around at low speed. Ive got a VY SS II, ive noticed fluid level going down a bit as well. I need to take it to holden to get it fixed

3. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Could be crap in the fluid creating a restriction in the line somewhere. Or a dodgy valve in the rack.

4. Huthy

Huthy New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
    Yep irritating is the word.

I'm not losing fluid at all though.

I've had it at Holden, at the 10, 20, 30, & 40 service but they couldn't find it... On returning for post-service warranty work, I took the workshop guy for a test drive around the car park and he said straight away it would be the rack and would change out the rack.... "Quite common" apparently... But Hey they didn't change out the rack, but simply lubricated the "steering column"... Which didn't do a bloody thing...

It's now going back in for post-post-service warranty work and service rectification work, with the hope of "finding" what the problem is...

I'd be happy with them doing a fluid flush through the system... I've had the discussion with the service manager who said that wouldn't be covered under warranty.. My standpoint... Holden Service manual doesn't make any recommendations about service intervals for the power steering fluid, hence it's not a consumable as such... Same as differential oil... If there is something wrong with it in the warranty period, Holden should cover it, otherwise make a recommedation in the service schedule in terms of flushing the system!!

I'll let you know how I go tomorrow with the works!

5. kave1

kave1 New Member

Members Ride:
    vy series 2 v8 berlina
    Gday guys, Holden know about this problem and have a modification to fix it, they replace your power steering lines with larger diameter hoses to reduce the pressure in the system.:thumbsup:

6. baggins404

baggins404 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim SII
    Yep I get the same noise aswell. A Particular whine especially when turning right. I also noticed if I have the hood up you can hear a slight air sucking noise aswell. Very irritating

7. Huthy

Huthy New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
    Well Guys, I had the car in on Friday for the power steering work, and other stuff. This time around the workshop and service manager took it for a drive to listen. They are still scrathing their heads though. They did a high pressure flush on the system hoping that it will stop the noise in the short term. Unfortuneately it hasn't though! They said that it could be the seal at the top of the rack and if necesary will replace that, but can't guarantee that it will fix the problem...

8. black vy03

black vy03 New Member

Members Ride:
    ve 2 sv6 sport wagon
    hi guys, i have a vy with 35,000kms like new, the power steering pump makes a whirry noise goes up and down with revs there are no leaks fluid level is spot on. I took the belt off and the noise was gone i have checked all pulleys there fine, i have heard this noise on vr and vs any ideas on how to fix it just annoying.

9. bradcad

bradcad New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
    Similar noise here, flushed the system and used a decent, power steering specific fluid. No real noise any more.

10. Huthy

Huthy New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
    Well the latest was the pump and rack were replaced!

Holden replaced the rack after I pushed and pushed for it, but only to fail to bleed the system properly, which then had me back for another trip to get the pump replaced under warranty!

11. adamc11

adamc11 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VE SS V Z M6
    Hi guys,
    I just got my SS and i have a similar problem. Only difference is my power steering fluid is black! Any ideas? I started another thread about it before i noticed this thread.

12. DUK13Y

DUK13Y Now w/Phreddied Dash

Members Ride:
    VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
    I thought i read somewhere that this was the problem and was quite common. I have the same issue. Do you just get this larger hose from your local holden dealer?

13. Joey_21

Joey_21 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
    black does it smell burnt if it does time 2 change it theres a lot of diff colours but most are dark red? never seen black fluid

14. adamc11

adamc11 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VE SS V Z M6
    Yeah sorry my mistake lol the power steering fluid is red like usual, it's the brake fluid that is black! This isn't normal is it?

15. vxcalais_01

vxcalais_01 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais 3.8
    Flushing the power steering system, just siphon out all the fluid from the container and hose, and refill with fluid ? Just bleed the system by turning the wheels to full lock a few times ???

16. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    When the brake fluid is black, it's way past its use-by date. Should be pale yellow or pale green usually. Flush the brake system completely, and soon. Easy job for the do-it-yourselfer, costs about $20 for four bottles of fluid, which should be enough to pumpt the systtem clean and top up.

Power Steering fluid should be Dextron III, the same as the auto trans. Bright, clean, red - no other colour. Brown or darker - it's stuffed and should smell burnt, but power steering units don't usually cook the oil - it never stays in long enough to burn. Usually finds a number of ways out all by itself. Seals at rear of pump, leaks through low pressure hose not being claimped tight enough, high pressure hose leaks with age, rack seals, by-pass pipes (little o-rings at each end), that's if the rack is similar to the VN-VS design.

If the pump is like the earlier models, it will leak. Full stop. Takes a fair distance, but it will leak, eventually. Whining noise is usually caused by pump working hard at low road speed, such as when parking, with low fluid level.

My Berl only has 40K on it, so I would hope that all these delights are a while off yet.

17. calaiscruise

calaiscruise New Member

Members Ride:
    2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
    possible answer for the problem

Everyone,

I hope I have the answer to this annoying problem. :thumbsup:

I've occassionally noticed a whiring/whizzing noise that sounds like it's coming from my steering wheel on my VYII Calais for about 12 months now. I can only hear it when I'm driving slowly (eg. <25kmh) turning corners eg. driving around a corner, or round about.

Recently it's been a bit noiser, and if I'm on a very smooth road surface, I can feel the high frequency whiring vibration in the steering wheel... but always only when turning the wheel at lower speeds.

I mentioned this to the Holden Dealer previous services, but they found nothing. Late last year I booked it in specifially for this, the reported they removed the steering wheel, and lubricated the steering shaft, bushes etc.

In the following weeks, I heard it again :bang:.

Went back to the same dealer, a mechanic just happen to overhear my complaint, and said he knew exactly what it was .... apparently it's the bottom steering column bush in the firewall, it can loose lubrication, sticks and rubs/whines. The noise/vibration is transferred up the shaft to the steering wheel, so from inside the cabin it sounds like the horn pad is "whizzing". He said when it gets worse it can fail and will grind.

I am advised the fix, is to lube the bush, from underneath the car, on the firewall. Apparently this is not uncommon on VY's.

I've booked my car in this week to get it fixed. I hope this resolves it, because ti's driving me mad.

I'll update this thread with the result..... wish me luck :)

18. calaiscruise

calaiscruise New Member

Members Ride:
    2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
    Well, i had the car seen to by Holden ... the noise/whir/vibration has actually been reduced, but not gone completely. :whistling

They reported they lubricated the lower steering column firewall bush, but they detected no noise, and told me not to turn the steering whilst at standstill. This is NOT the problem, so they missed the point once again.

I can only deduce this bush is the source of my problem, and partially fixed now..perhaps the bush is now worn or damaged and will continue to whir.. or needs more lubrication, will have to look at it myself ( if Holden cannot resolve or even recognise there's a problem after multiple visits, what can you do) :bang:

hope this helps others

19. sp001in

sp001in vyma100

Members Ride:
    VY ute
    my car shudders, at idle, or 10% power which is most common when parking it, I try and avoid dry steering, but it still does it. to bleed a power steering system, take off the cap, and with the front wheels in the air, turn the wheels full lock left thorugh to right 3 times. SLOWLY. all holden workshop manuals say this.

20. adamc11

adamc11 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VE SS V Z M6
    my friends caprice does that exact same thing. my ss doesn't though.