Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preferred fuel for 6.2 L LS3

flackjax

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 Nitrate Silver SSV Redline Sportwagon
Picking up my new MY16 SSV-R Sportwagon on Saturday and would like to ask a dumb question here rather than at the dealership !

Should the LS3 be run on 98 fuel all the time or 95/others.

If just 98 is there are preferred type i.e. Shell, Mobil, BP, Caltex ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. they will run on anything (EXCEPT E85)

I normally run 98 in the R8 Tourer when the price is reasonable (BP 98 supplied in Vic is the best here)
and std ULP when it is over $1.50 sometimes 95 if 98 is still too exxie

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They've been designed to run on E10, or whatever the cheap ULP with a splash of ethanol is called; so it'll be happy with that.
You'll probably find it feels best on 98.
It's my belief, and what Smitty said backs this up, that BP 98 is best 98.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
the cap on all VF2 V8s reads

Premium fuel recommended,

think its the LS3's higher comp 10.7 vs 10.4(l98>L77), go 95 if your not getting it tuned.

Everyone has the choices but BP ultimate to me is a hype they are all the same, Having said that i prefer Caltex Vortex or V Power had a bad batch of ultimate years ago and never went back

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Quoted power figures are always based on premium for the V8's, they do de-rate slightly running E10 or regular.

I don't understand anyone that buys a near $60k car and feeds it cheap **** fuel.

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Fuel????? Don't talk to me about fuel. Have a look at my thread " Is it normal" and you will understand..apparently there is a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AllanVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS
Picking up my new MY16 SSV-R Sportwagon on Saturday and would like to ask a dumb question here rather than at the dealership !

Should the LS3 be run on 98 fuel all the time or 95/others.

If just 98 is there are preferred type i.e. Shell, Mobil, BP, Caltex ?

From personal experience and mostly a personal choice I used BP 98, then if I really have to, ill use Caltex 98 or Mobil to get me through.
I've owned a VF Calais V6, Toyota Yaris, VR 5l Statesman, and now a VF2 SS 6.2. I've only tried Shell 98 a couple of times in the Yaris and Statesman to recognise that the Shell 98 is sub-standard compared to Caltex 98 and BP 98.

You'd be happy with BP 98!

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I'll pick BP 98 over Caltex 98 anyday. I had a salary-packaged VE SS with a Caltex fuel card... only used Caltex 98 for 5 years... when it came off salary package I started using BP 98 and Mobil 98 and consistently got around 50km more per tank on both these fuels. Tried Caltex again and got less km... was enough evidence for me.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I don't use anything other than ron98 bp ultimate. It's not advertising the fuel system stays cleaner. Once my son borrows my ute for a few days. He put just the Mobil 91 without me knowing. It run horrible had no throttle response and a hint of pinging.

AnotherSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Sportwagon
I've monitored fuel use in my Series 1 redline wagon (factory tune), on a 10 tank average I get over 1 litre less per 100km on 98 compared to using 95 even better against 91. (about an extra 20-50km on a tank depending on how its driven)
So the 98 works out cheaper especially at the top of the price cycle. The power output is supposed to be better but its difficult to notice much difference in day to day use.

On fuel quality I generally find its the individual outlets that vary the brand doesn't seem to make much difference with 98. I suspect the old leaky tanks and how long they take to cycle a tank has an influence. There are a couple of servos in my area that I avoid even if it is cheaper the car always seems to run rougher when you get some fuel from them.

The only fuel that is noticeably different (being a series 1 it can use it) is e85, has a different exhaust note and seems to pull a bit harder when push it, but boy does it drink it down. (around 4-5litres more per 100)