Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Putting A Head Unit In A Vl

P

Pit_VL

I have an 86 VL Exec and I need to stick my head unit in. I heard that the back of the dash needs to be broken to get the existing one out and a new one in and I was wondering if this is true and if there is any way around it.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Welcome to the forum Pit_VL,
Not owning a VL makes it difficult for me to say yes or no.

Funny you write about this though, I was over on a Car Audio Australia earlier today looking for some other info and came across this thread a short time ago. It may not be a great deal of help but at least it's a start. From what I have read these guys over there really know what they are talking about.

I somehow doubt the dash will need to be broken, it may just be a very tight squeeze in there which is often the case. I know my current stereo has a bolt right at the very back which is difficult to get to but there shouldn't be any need to break anything.

Just take your time and analyze what needs to happen and you'll be amazed how easy it will come together.

There are a few guys who own VL's which are registered here, hopefully one of them would have tackled the stereo before and able to help you out.

Else fails pop a thread up on Car Audio Australia and no doubt someone has had the same sort of problem and they'll be able to sort it out for you.

Cheers
Darren

87vlcommodore

Putting an aftermarket headunit in a vl is pretty simple if the factory one has been removed. To remove the old one there r 2 steel mounting brackets holding it in and up against the subframe of the dash. To remove them r a pain in the arse coz u have to remove the top of the dash. Once uve done that just undo the screws and nuts holding the brackets on to the headunit. The back bracket is the hardest coz its right in between the heater vent and there is 3 screws. To wire it up is simple just three main power wires one 4 battery power earth and ignition. ull have to run an extra wire in to the h/u from the battery, coz the factory one runs off the same power from the ignition.