Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

putting power steering in a VH SL-X wagon

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
the past year or so ive been collecting all the hundreds things needed for the conversion, so many small things, anyways ive just about got everything now, (the hardest thing I find hard to get is the early type metal hoses that go from the rack to the rubber hoses, ive just found a NOS high pressure metal pipe but still in need of the low pressure pipe ( not the hose from the pump)

I know the vk set up with the external reservoir is easier to get but i can not use the late VH- VK set up as my aircon compressor is where that system goes on the passenger side

originaly the wagon did have power steering in it but someone in the past changed the rack when they installed the black 6 motor from a VK

my question is, what pump do i have? its a squarish stile, is it metric or Imperial pump?

also all these parts are second hand which most had some shelf life, is there some way to properly clean everything out before installing (the reason i ask is because when in the past i took my steering box out of my old HQ to paint it up and put it back in after turning the wheel side to side to bleed it, it always went to the right by it self, found out some small partical crap fell into it

Last edited:

sickboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Chev.. VT V6.. VY Wagon V6
take your pump to a good outfit that does high pressure lines they will have the fittings, don't stuff around get your lines done to fit its cheaper & they are new. as for cleaning unsure but a good wash & compressed air always works well.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. you talking 6cyl or V8 engine in the VH?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
this one

wasted_days

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo, HJ Sandman project
Sure you couldn't use vk stuff? They did come with power steering & a/c too? I've got some 85 vk stuff from a v8 that had a/c & power steering pump with a oil reservoir on the PS pump which I'm sure is on the same side of the engine as the 6's looking at that pic??? I'd be interested to know myself as was going to chuck in all the PS rack & lines with vh wagon I have I'm going to sell.

I do second just having a new line made to your suit your application if you haven't or can't find the stuff.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon

sorry guys! haven't been on for a while to respond to replies (had a few family issues)

yes markovr this picture is the set up i have. with the aircon compressor on the passenger side

smithy...... its a 6 cyl...................

as seen in this pic.. the aircon compressor is in the place of where the VK's steering pump goes ( i have almost everything for this early set up now so i dont want to muck around with the VK set up, and moving the compressor to the other side of the engine and so forth,

sickboy and wasted days, i have thought about going to a high pressure hose place to make new line but my thoughts are how are they going to know the length and shape to bend it when I haven't even got a old one for a template

once again thanks for the replies

Last edited: