Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Question] Will a vl redback exhaust fit a vk.

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
G'day, just bought a fuel injected vk and I love 2.5" redback exhausts (cat back). I cant seem to find any for a vk, only vl and upwards... just wondering if a vl one will bolt onto a vk.. as far as i kno theres F all difference... they basically look the same besides the front headlights and a few minor things. Will i be able to do that?

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
It may follow the same path and fit but you'll have a cat length shortfall in the intermediate pipe. You'll probably need to have a section made up to bridge the gap seeing as you dont have a cat in place (possibly with different flanges each end also)
looking at the vl i'm about to wreck and my vb, most of it looks similar.

HTH
Drew

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
you would probobly need to modify and weld it on to a existing/new pipe
does your vk have a cat?
mine is efi and doesnt have a cat.
you will be able to get a exhaust for under $300 at a1 exhausts....

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the VL floor pan has a few differences to the VK - it's closer to the VN floor pan than the VK. It has a hump in the passenger side front floor to accomodate the cat converter. So there might be some differences in the exhaust.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Apart from the VL having a cat and the VK not, there are differences in the shape.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
You sure there's not any around for a VK? I bought one for me VK wagz about 12 months ago.

Had a quick look on ebay and this is the one I got, but I got it locally, and got it with the centre piece with no muffler.
Commodore VB VC VH VK Wagon 6 Cyl & V8 Sports Exhaust | eBay

The same mob sell this one which is for a sedan. Only thing is tho, they rekon it's a "cat back" system for VB-VK, and yeah we all know those models don't even have cats lol. It wouldn't really matter tho, I guess it should fit up pretty easy. Ya might even be able to order that one with a straight through centre piece.
Commodore VB VC VH VK 6 Cyl & V8 Sedan Sports Exhaust | eBay

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
judging by the above pictures from ebay, i would say they wont bolt on. All it takes is a little bit of difference and it wont line up.

but for $300 you cant go wrong for one with a warranty. I love the redback on mine, sounds amazing

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
Thanks heaps for your help guys, I'll take all of that into consideration.

it will work from the muffer to the end
but you will have to weld that bit to a new piece of pipe like i did (vr exhaust)

just go to a exhaust place n they will hook you up

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I can do a Manta exhaust the same as the second Ebay link for $240 shipped. But as above, you will need the front section made. Manta used to do a connecting pipe from extractors to the muffler but it was discontinued do to the lack of sales over a couple of years.