Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Main Seal being fixed but is it causing air con issues? 2001 commodore wagon

Trish31

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon VX
Hello everyone. How are you? Hope you are doing well!
Heres some back story before i ask the needed questions lol. I hope this makes sense as i know nothing about cars. If there is anything else you need to know, please do ask!
So, my car is at the mechanic and he said it was the Rear Main Seal causing leaking, thats getting sorted. I've had the commodore wagon for 3 years now and its always over heated from the get go. It has also had problems with the air con. I went to get it regassed and they told me it was full of gas. Its never been cold. The guy told me it would be from the cars over heating issues. I had the car previously looked at and they couldnt figure out why. We've replaced the radiator 3 times with no help. The fan will only turn on at 105* but was told this was normal. I had to drive the car around with the fan on so it didnt overheat and avoid driving it on extra hot days. Ofcourse being a single mum with little money and no other support, its the only car i could rely on. Well, fast forward to recent issue and the car was pooring out the coolant and water out of the back of the engine. Which was the rear main seal.

Questions are:
Would the rear main seal take years to break?
Would it have been causing the over heating issues this whole time?
Would it be causing the air con to not get cold? What could be causing this if it isnt the over heating issues?

Thanks everyone!!! The mechanic has no idea about the air con issues so googled and found this forum!!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
1. rear main seals generaly get worse over time until it leaks so much where you park, you are embarrassed and get it fixed
2.no way
3, no way

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
rear main is going to be quite expensive, is it bad enough to justify the expense
how are you determining car is overheating
the gauge or other symptoms
you have 2 thermo fans, high speed should turn on with air con
i think you need a new mechanic
edit = just reread your post
rear main is an oil seal. i think you mean a welch plug leak
sounds like a head gasket issue

Trish31

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon VX
rear main is going to be quite expensive, is it bad enough to justify the expense
how are you determining car is overheating
the gauge or other symptoms
you have 2 thermo fans, high speed should turn on with air con
i think you need a new mechanic
edit = just reread your post
rear main is an oil seal. i think you mean a welch plug leak
sounds like a head gasket issue
Hmm... No, he said it was rear main seal and i am ordering the part he told me to get?
The car was overheating at traffic lights etc, going upto 110+ and turning off. I got around this by keeping aircon fans on and avoiding hot days.
The car has been to 4 different mechanics now and i have run out of money to keep trying to fix it. It's been a really slow horrible process to be honest. 3 had no idea what was wrong, 4th took the engine apart and told me it was the Rear Main Seal causing the coolant and water to flood out! I was supposed to buy a Rear Main Seal off of ebay to make it cheaper.
He also said engine looks in pretty good condition despite the issues. No leaks/cracks etc.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
what part did he ask you to get, and why couldnt he get it

Reactions: Lex

Trish31

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon VX
what part did he ask you to get, and why couldnt he get it
Rear Main Seal and he charges more for the part if i get it through him (extra $300), he was trying to help with costs by letting me get it myself. Is only $215 on Ebay.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
well hopefully that cures the overheating fault
it it was coroded through or damaged