Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuild Ecotec - Vs Commodore

thesweetpuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore Executive
Hey guys, first post, probably been asked before but ah well!

I've got a vs commodore running the ecotec, T5 box, hd clutch, tight lsd with 3.91's, pacemakers and and redback exhaust just a couple minor things, but pretty much is to just thrash the engine till it dies and get it rebuilt, car is in the mechanics at the moment getting the box ripped out and getting the bearings replaced and a fix up, is there anything i can ask him to do to the flywheel or anything in the box area just to toughen things up or give us a little more umph ?

main question is is it a stupid idea to thrash the thing till its dead once its back, and get it rebuilt with a couple internals done to help get me to 220-250kw at the wheels ? i know its an expensive thing to do! I'm really keen on getting a stage 2 comp cam in there, with all the springs and rods done aswell but i know just not that will get me upto the power im looking for, what else can i look at getting done on it to get it there without it being too stupidly loud (planning on putting stock exhaust back on if need be) because i am on my p's he he, and what sort of price i would be looking at roughly to get it done!

thesweetpuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore Executive
yeah can't be bothered spending the money on a charger or something that just sticks right out when you pop the bonnet i want to stick to internals as much as i can, even something close to 200rkw, you reckon ? thought it might have been flogged out a bit, bloke i bought it off gave it hell on 280xxx k's now,

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The thing that makes Eco's such a good motor is their ability to be abused and misused by boost and then replaced for a few bucks and a few hours out of your life. Everything about them is cheap and simple when they're stock.

Spending money on internals will most likely disappoint you and rebuilding is poor bang for buck due to the availability of decent second hand motors. 200+ rwkw n/a will probably cost you twice/three times as much as a cheap Tonyz turbo kit.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you want that much power at the treads N/A, you'll have dick all low down torque because of the huge cam you'll need. Will pretty much make the car unstreetable as a daily driver.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
At last count somebody on here spent about $11k to get flywheel kw at the rears N/A.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Rear mount turbo maybe an option for you? I mean I really don't like them at all but if you want it to not stand out might be an option... Just run water injection as aposed to intercropping and not much bar the intake pipe will really stand out ..... Exhaust still goes down and out ... No turbo visible, no piping (bar intake pipe), and just use an oil cooled snail so you only need oil lines and you can even get them in a black finish!

NA your dreaming might as well just wait for P's to be gone man

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Save your money towards a better car i.e later model commy with ls1 in it

thesweetpuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore Executive
cheers guys for your inputs, a rear mount turbo does sound nice but then again by what everyone else is saying i should just wait till i get off the p's! might just do the roller rockers or something for a little extra fun, cheers again