Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reducing weight to reduce 1/4 mile time

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
tougHnA said:
hey boys wat about taken your aircon off i did on my vl :p there like 20kg or so.... :D noticed no difference thought but all adds up i guess......

would have thought from the little difference it would make that it would be nicer to have air conditioning!!!

Did you removed the ac yourself?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
In the new mx5 mazda removed 90 grams or something like that from the rear view mirror. So I guess everybit does count. There is a thick layer of insulation under the carpet weighing between 5-10kg.skinny tyres weigh less than fatties so skinnies on the front will help as well. also if you can take the rear of your exhaust off theres another gain.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What is 20kgs in the airconditioning?

I must be getting big if I can lift 20kgs with two fingers. I'd say about 4kgs for the compressor.

I'd rather keep the luxuries then get 1/10th of a second.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
NO WAY.... You'd need a car that weighs 500 Kg with the N/A V6 output...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The car would have to weigh about 750kg's, never going to happen in a VN :), better to start with a car that weighs sub 1000kgs to start with and then make it's motor output the same as the V6 or just put a bigger motor in it. Then what you have is just about every 10 and 11 second 1/4 mile car at my local drag strip, LC/J Toranas and Cortinas with 400 inch V8's

vnbelina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
what about to get in 14 sec

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There's not many car mods that haven't been tried before; weight reduction is the reason Hot Rods look the way they do - those full guards on '30-'40s cars are heavy.

The old (Australian) 'Car' magazine did an article nearly 20 years ago where they removed various parts of a 120Y in much the same way as Holden#1 described and I have seen a similar article in a US mag taking the piss out of a 'Rice Boy' Nissan by showing the performance gain/reduction with body kit, big wheels and stereo gear removal - they kept going to remove doors and bonnet too.

Zero cost weight reduction could also include removing window regulators and replacing with wooden dowel wedged between the glass and bottom of the door to hold the glass up.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Theres a good article on the net where they chop up a car.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Cheap6 said:
There's not many car mods that haven't been tried before; weight reduction is the reason Hot Rods look the way they do - those full guards on '30-'40s cars are heavy.

The old (Australian) 'Car' magazine did an article nearly 20 years ago where they removed various parts of a 120Y in much the same way as Holden#1 described and I have seen a similar article in a US mag taking the piss out of a 'Rice Boy' Nissan by showing the performance gain/reduction with body kit, big wheels and stereo gear removal - they kept going to remove doors and bonnet too.

Zero cost weight reduction could also include removing window regulators and replacing with wooden dowel wedged between the glass and bottom of the door to hold the glass up.

22 years ago I read the article which was the inspiration for our attempt.
I believe they even used heater ducting to make a CAI. They got around 17 seconds without removing anywhere near what we removed to get the same time. They must have had the "sports" engine.
I actually thought it was Street Machine who did it. We took photos of our effort so I'll try and find them.