Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Relay wiring, is my diagram correct?

PaTi3Nc3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Commodore
Hey All,

i was just wondering if this diagram is correct?

what im trying to achieve is the DRL's i want to put in my car need to turn off when parkers are on, would this wiring setup do the job?

You would see i also have a manual override switch in there to turn off the DRL's when i dont want them on.

DRL OFF WHEN PARKER ON with switch overrride.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
swap 86 and 30 around and your done, if you wanted to, the earth for 85 can be some where near the relay, doesnt have to join to the DRL earth

the switch energises the relay turning on the DRL circuit and switching off the parkers

PaTi3Nc3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Commodore
swap 86 and 30 around and your done, if you wanted to, the earth for 85 can be some where near the relay, doesnt have to join to the DRL earth

the switch energises the relay turning on the DRL circuit and switching off the parkers

Thanks for that Ephect, makes a bit more sense now, i was reading and drawing my own diagrams for a couple of hours before i understood the majority of this.

Im the sort of person who needs to visualize it.

Ive redone the diagram if you can look over it and make sure?

here's the new diagram.
DRL OFF WHEN PARKER ON with switch overrride CORRECT.jpg

if there is anything else i should be doing when installing this please let me know. ill be doing it next weekend, so im just doing the RND at the moment.

Thanks again though.

EDIT: with the negative. the only reason i chose the same anchor point is because it saves having 2 really. and by the time i run the lead for the positive its not really hard to run the negative lead next to it so it sits next to the relay. i just set it out in the diagram like that so it was easy to read without too many wires crossing.

Thanks!

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Thats wont work.

Accessories is always going to be on when driving, so therefore the relay will just always be energised, and make your parking lights always run and the DRL's wouldnt work.

What you need it just this, if you want a switch on it will need to be done a little different.

DRLdiagram.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
go with surfwags diag if you dont want the switch. much cleaner

if you want the switch override for DRL go back to ur original dia, swap 86 and 30 wires and ur done. earth ur DRL to the chasis near where they are mounted, and the relay earth to the body where its mounted.

PaTi3Nc3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Commodore
Thats wont work.

Accessories is always going to be on when driving, so therefore the relay will just always be energised, and make your parking lights always run and the DRL's wouldnt work.

i dont know if i should have specified, i have automatic headlights(vz commodore) and i was going to use the accessory wire from that so that when it kicked in the relay would be energized and the coil magnetizing to pull the little bit of metal from 87a to 87 activating the parker's which would disengage the DRL. or am i trying to think too much into it?

DRL OFF WHEN PARKER ON with switch overrride relay on.jpg

The picture above would be effectively when the automatic headlights kick in.

although, when you say they would be constantly on your saying that the 12v accessory lead for automatic headlights always has power running through it or would it not activate until the lights turn on when it kicks over?

hmm, making me think more now :)

cheers streetwagon.

PaTi3Nc3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Commodore
if you want the switch override for DRL go back to ur original dia, swap 86 and 30 wires and ur done. earth ur DRL to the chasis near where they are mounted, and the relay earth to the body where its mounted.

i think the original reason i had the 2 setup the way they were was this...

we have wired up to the fuse box the headlights, now im not 100% sure where the day/night sensor is for the automatic headlights but even on the switch for the headlights it has to relay through the fuse box i'd imagine which means the parkers will only be on when its night/when i turn them on.

having "Parker OEM Positive" to 86 the magnetic coil wont be activated until the parkers are (no power i guess unless the night/day is in the headlights themselves which i doubt unless im able to be told otherwise)
then with "Accessory Wire" to 30 which defaults with 87a that would be DRL on when igition on which is what im after and then when the power comes with the coil it would pull away from 87a and go to 87 activating parkers.

is this right? i know you guys have just said otherwise, but it seems correct to me. i know im no electrician but yeah i guess thats what a forum is for :D

which yeah with my thinking makes me go back to the first diagram i put up here.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
i dont know if i should have specified, i have automatic headlights(vz commodore) and i was going to use the accessory wire from that so that when it kicked in the relay would be energized and the coil magnetizing to pull the little bit of metal from 87a to 87 activating the parker's which would disengage the DRL. or am i trying to think too much into it?

The picture above would be effectively when the automatic headlights kick in.

although, when you say they would be constantly on your saying that the 12v accessory lead for automatic headlights always has power running through it or would it not activate until the lights turn on when it kicks over?

hmm, making me think more now :)

cheers streetwagon.

What you dont realise is, With the diagram above, you wont be able to turn your parking lights on unless the auto feature does it for you....

i think the original reason i had the 2 setup the way they were was this...

we have wired up to the fuse box the headlights, now im not 100% sure where the day/night sensor is for the automatic headlights but even on the switch for the headlights it has to relay through the fuse box i'd imagine which means the parkers will only be on when its night/when i turn them on.

having "Parker OEM Positive" to 86 the magnetic coil wont be activated until the parkers are (no power i guess unless the night/day is in the headlights themselves which i doubt unless im able to be told otherwise)
then with "Accessory Wire" to 30 which defaults with 87a that would be DRL on when igition on which is what im after and then when the power comes with the coil it would pull away from 87a and go to 87 activating parkers.

is this right? i know you guys have just said otherwise, but it seems correct to me. i know im no electrician but yeah i guess thats what a forum is for :D

which yeah with my thinking makes me go back to the first diagram i put up here.

Your making the assumption that there is a "auto headlight acc wire" which i assure you there isnt. The sensor is in centre of dash below windscreen, and the BCM bypasses the headlight switch from memory.

Do it my way. its simple, it works.

PaTi3Nc3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Commodore
Like this with override switch

DRLdiagramswitch.jpg

Okay,

now sorry for this but as i said earlier i like to know exactly what to do and want to visualize it.

The thing im confused with is, everything ive found says that 86(+) to 85(-) activates the coil changing 87a to 87, so here i guess i have 2 questions, first is where is the earth point for 85, is that back to the "oem parker negative" coming from the fuse box? and if 87a is DRL as well as 87 how does it switch? according to the diagram it would go from 87a to 87 with a switch, now the switch part is another thing. if the drl is turned on at 87/87a would the switch work on both?

:)