Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VS Commodore Starter motor

G

go4it

I have a VS Commodore Acclaim wagon. Need to replace the starter motor - the w/shop manual says just drop it down and undo the wiring but it looks like the exhaust and / or steering rack is in the way do either of these need to be removed to get the starter motor out?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My manual (Gregorys) only says to loosen the steering gear if its a manual car.
I thought they came out from under with the car on stands plus with a bit of manouvering and swearing but not impossible.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Just had mine replaced a couple of months ago. Cost was $180 fitted, with a reconditioned unit, 12 months warranty. Only took about 45 mins to get the job done. It's not the easiest to get to, so I just left it to the professionals. Also had the wiring from the battery to the starter motor replaced, as the old starter was so shot that it was drawing excess current, burning out the wiring.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Harvs82 said:
Just had mine replaced a couple of months ago. Cost was $180 fitted, with a reconditioned unit, 12 months warranty. Only took about 45 mins to get the job done. It's not the easiest to get to, so I just left it to the professionals. Also had the wiring from the battery to the starter motor replaced, as the old starter was so shot that it was drawing excess current, burning out the wiring.
Thats a really good price - up here just the starter motor is $150 exchange plus 2 hours labour @$60 per hour plus any wiring. Thats why I do everything myself (and stuff up sometimes)

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hako said:
Thats a really good price - up here just the starter motor is $150 exchange plus 2 hours labour @$60 per hour plus any wiring. Thats why I do everything myself (and stuff up sometimes)

Yeah I was actually quite surprised at how cheap I got out of it, was expecting well over $200 to have the job done.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6