Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadstone tyres....any good ??? Need answers asap

Shedvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary Commodore
I hope Im putting this question in the right spot...apologies to mods if it isnt.
Im getting new wheels ( probably CSA ) and tyres put on my VY Commodore this week.
Guy at Beaurepaires has recommended a brand called Roadstone ??
I hadnt heard of it so I googled and the reviews dont seem too good.
I am trying to work within a budget...but I dont want to skimp on tyres...they are really important obviously.
The rims Im looking at putting on are size 18's.
I know some of this comes down to personal preference.... but some suggestions on tyres would be great.
Some answers ASAP if you lot have time please :driving:

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Im running Roadstone tyres, they are really bulky.. lots of tread..
They seem decent.. Ive had no troubles with them.. Though, If your not a hoon Id say go for a more known brand like Bridgestone.. etc.. I think the bridgestone adrenalin are like $50 ish more then the 'roadstones'

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Roadstone will probably be a cheap Asian tyre, perhaps Chinese. As in all things, you get what you pay for. Cheaper Chinese tyres tend to be pretty unrefined compared to more expensive and better known brands. The sort of things you will probably experience are harshness over bumps, noise levels which increase as the tyres wear down and lower levels of grip in wet weather. However, if you can't afford more expensive tyres and don't expect Roadstones or any other cheap tyres to perform like Michelins, Falkens or Bridgestones, for example, they are definately better than retreads. In their defence, these cheap tyres seem to use a pretty hard compound so the wear rate on them should be reasonable.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ive got them on the back of my ute as its what they came with.
they seem to be ok. i havent noticed any wear or so forth
they do look good and appear to be a lower profile then normal, which is more for looks.

but yeah as calaber said dont expect them to be as good as better brands.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Are you looking at 235/40R18? If you want cheap tyres, look for either Nexen or Achilles. The N6000 is very good, though the N1000 is still good, and the Achilles ATR sport is quite good, for the money. The nexen is a little more expensive generally, and is a bit quieter on the road. For cheap tyres, they do very well.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
They are good.... for burnouts.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Honestly, they are a very reasonable tyre for the money you pay. I've used a lot of tyres, Falken 452, Pirelli P-Zero (Rosso and Nero), Continental ContiSports, Bridgestone RE050, RE05A, Federal 595ss, 595rsr .. heaps of tyres. For a daily car, Nexen N6000 are very reasonable for the money, noticeable more road noise, grip levels for everyday dry are not going to be very different, wet will be a little worse, but nothing you'd notice in every day driving. They are better than something for burnouts.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Roadstones are actually made in Korea and sold under the Michelin banner as their cheaper tyre (made in the same factory as far as i'm aware). They are a very good tyre for the money IMO, i run them on the front of my ute and they're fine.

Shedvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary Commodore
Thanks all much appreciated... heading in tomorrow to haggle....hmm this may call for good hair, makeup and a little cleavage lol. Damn times like this I wish I was hotter hehe. But seriously thanks :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Roadstones are actually made in Korea and sold under the Michelin banner as their cheaper tyre (made in the same factory as far as i'm aware). They are a very good tyre for the money IMO, i run them on the front of my ute and they're fine.

Blown

That's interesting that they are sold by Michelin - I think that says something about their quality and your experience bears that out. Perhaps the worst thing about them is the stupid name.