Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rolf Harris verdict

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Rolf Harris has been found guilty on 12 counts of indecent assault , I have to admit , although I thought he was guilty , I also thought the jury would would aquit him , which brings me to that in some serious cases such as this , it should be down to a panel of judges not juries .

Last edited:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
tie me daughter friends down sport!

I do think there was a little more to the story than has come out, and the fact that there was attempted black mail as well in there.

I didn't think he was guilty of anything other than being a root-rat

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
In a way, it's a pity they only get these sleazy celebrities either when they are old or after they are dead, when they've already lived the good life, and can spend retirement in prison. Rolf Harris is 84, and as such he's not long for this earth, and will die in prison. Jimmy Saville (tv presenter - top of the pops, 'Jim'll fix it' - ironic that show dealt with hard done by kids!) was dead before his 400 separate victims came forward. Robert Hughes of 'Hey Dad' is 66 and will be in prison until he's 71 at least.

But then again, you need to consider - their reputation, even in death, is forever tarnished. That's the worst thing of all for anyone, for when you are dead, there's not a damn thing you can do about it!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
No doubt that Harris will die in prison , may god have mercy on his soul .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No doubt that Harris will die in prison , may god have mercy on his soul .

I agree with the first part of this statement, not the 2nd. Kiddy fiddlers are the low of the low.

not sure why you don't agree with a jury of your peers system? I served on a jury on a kiddy fiddling case, the bastard was guilty however the police prosecutor screwed up the case and the defence council (QC) just tore it to shreds and a not guilty verdict was delivered. We had a number of female jurists on the panel, all were in tears when the jury foreman delivered that verdict. "beyond reasonable doubt" is a fairly tough standard to attain in a criminal court of law.

there is already a lot more coming out now that the case has concluded. It is clear that the British court wouldn't deal with any historical cases that happened outside of Britain before 1997 because of the local laws and it's abundantly clear that there was a lot of offending before this time.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
its good people now coming out the closet and telling there story, it just doesn't make since throwing all these old people who know have been found guilty for their dark secrets many of moons ago , they will never step outside the walls again and its costing the Taxpayer many of thousands of dollars keeping them in there alive , I think they should have the option to end their lives they have nothing to live for and save on cost and overcrowded prisons or next best thing home detention with tracking collars .

There is too many different punishments and rules look at the guy that was in politics in Tasmania he confessed sleeping and having sex with a 13yo minor and he got off with a suspended sentence , if it was an everyday person he would of got the minimum term to 7-10 years for 1st offence , people go inside for just touching a woman without sex they usually get 12-18 month's to me it just don't make since , it should be one sentence rule for all in the end its the same crime . They need to have a good look at sentencing each case and give it the same term for each case its not fair if someone serves 3 years and another person gets say 7 years for the same type of crime , its terrible what's going on in owe world today and its good they are now doing something about it , there so much out there still that have not told there story. Its a sad sad world , hay teacher leave those kids alone. I don't feel sorry for any of these people , priest or celebrity's if they do the crime they should do the time.

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
####. I'll just leave this here for comment, shall I!

It is amazing what people who are into that sort of thing will do to try and atone themselves. Jimmy Saville, whom I mentioned before, was a huge benefactor/patron for children's charities, even one of his shows "Jim'll fix it" revolved around doing charitable deeds for kids. Never mind some of his 400 allegations stemmed from the actual production of the programme over it's 20 yr run!

FWIW I met Rolf Harris once, when I was 9 (c.1992). No, not like that. He was doing a tour of NSW/Australia and he had a performance in Orange. We (family) got some of his books from merchandise stand, and my brother and I went to get them signed. If I ever find them, looks like I'll have to burn them......

Last edited by a moderator:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
While the only people that know the true story are the "victims" and the "perpetrator", it also comes down to an era where that sort of behavior was tolerated. I haven't kept on top of the case, so I don't know the details, but back in the 70's it was a different time and we had different standards and moral attitudes. What was acceptable then, even though not "right", is definitely not acceptable today. I imagine it would be hard being judged by today's standards on acts committed in a totally different era.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
He got five years and nine months

The sentences broken down:
Count 1: Assaulting an autograph-hunter, who was aged seven or eight, in the late 1960s - Nine months
Count 2: Assaulting a teenage waitress in the 1970s - Six months
Count 3: Assaulting a childhood friend of Harris's daughter between the ages of 13 and 19 - 15 months
Count 4: Same victim as count 3 - 15 months
Count 5: Same victim as count 3 - 15 months
Count 6: Same victim as count 3 - 12 months
Count 7: Same victim as count 3 - 15 months
Count 8: Same victim as count 3 - 12 months
Count 9: Same victim as count 3 - 12 months
Count 10: Assaulting Australian woman Tonya Lee, who was 15, in 1986 - Nine months
Count 11: Same victim as count 10 - Nine months
Count 12: Same victim as count 10 - 12 months
Some of the sentences will be served at the same time, making a total of five years and nine months.