Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough start on cold

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi all,

Just a quick question about batteries and rough starts. I have to replace my battery as its only showing 12.2 volts at rest over night and i was wondering if a battery problem could also be the cause of rough starts.

When my car is allowed to rest over night it drops cylinders when i start it in the morning (car is garaged at home). Only once has it recorded trouble codes. Yesterday i got codes for cyl 4 and 5 misfire (P0300 P0304 P0305). I cleared them and am waiting to see if the same codes come back or if different cyls misfire. Started this morning and it was only a little rough and no code recorded. Seems like when it drops 1 cyl it isnt bad enough for a code to register.

I have been thinking its the ignition packs but they are only 50,000km old (I installed genuine) but since the battery is a little crook thought that i would ask in here before i start buying new packs etc.

Car is VZ Berlina with the 172kw Alloytec with 194,289km on the clock. Cars otherwise runs well.

Thanks in advance

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
It could be the battery. Is it charging when its running? Have you put a good battery in and tried it?

If the alternator isnt charging it,the whole sysytem will have trouble running properly off 12.v,
whether it presents the symptoms you described or not, i dont know.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
The alternator is charging. I get approx 14.4 volts when the engine is running. I dropped in the battery from my wifes car this morning and it fired up perfectly. I knew it needed changing soon but found it weird that a dieing battery would also cause multiple misfires. Dont think i will ever get my head around alloytecs properly.

Thanks for the reply