Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Huge overhaul for young drivers

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
In the Advertiser today:

LONGER time on L-plates, restrictions on carrying passengers and night-time curfews have been flagged in a major overhaul of regulations on young drivers.
Road Safety Minister Tom Kenyon today revealed the plan, which includes withholding full licences until a driver's 21st birthday.
The current system involves young drivers progressing from their learner plates to provisional one then to provisional two before they get their full licence, as early as 19.
The new measures, if adopted, will include:
PASSENGER restrictions for all P1 drivers allowing no more than one passenger aged under 21 for the duration of their P1 licence. Exemptions will be made for immediate family and employment.
RESTRICTIONS on driving between midnight and 5 am for all P1 drivers. Exemptions will be made for work.
RAISING the minimum age for a provisional licence from 17 to 18 years, meaning drivers cannot drive solo until they are at least 18 years of age.
EXTENDING the total minimum L-plate period from two to three years.
REMOVING regression to a previous licence stage.
Mr Kenyon said the initiatives had the potential to significantly reduce road trauma for young drivers.
"These initiatives are not about making life tougher for young drivers. They're about protecting them and saving lives," he said.
"Over the last decade, more than 4000 young people aged between 16 and 24 have been killed or seriously injured on our roads.
"Research shows that crashes are most likely to occur during the first six to 12 months of holding a provisional licence when the driver is least experienced and driving unsupervised.
"The initiatives reflect world best practice, are evidence-based and have already been implemented to varying extents in other Australian states and territories."
Mr Kenyon said raising the minimum driving age will largely eliminate crashes involving 16 and 17 year old drivers, resulting in an estimated reduction of 60 to 70 fatal and serious injury crashes each year.
The plan has been released for consultation until December 9, but Mr Kenyon said he was predisposed to implement all measures.

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
We have the law in WA where P platers on red P plates (I'm assuming same as P1 & P2?) can't drive between midnight & 5am - exceptions for work.

I don't think the age should be lifted to GET a licence, but all the rest seems quite fair IMO.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
All this put in place by people who spent drove on their L's for maybe a few months then were on their P's with no such restrictions. There's no point extending the time spent on L's and P's. Rather, everyone should have to do defensive driving courses and advanced driver training courses throughout their L and P period.

That said, there are some dumb as soup P-platers.

I still maintain better, shorter training is a much more effective solution than longer and at present craptastic training.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
reading that info i thought... and so what?

come to Vic and those are pretty much the laws.
except for the 12-5 curfew.
and we have to wait until 22 for a full licence.

<RaBBiT>

Follow the White RaBBiT>>
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina V8, VS Calais 5spd, VN V8, VR States
most is fair, but just sucks when ya loose ur license for gay reason (no p plates) and go bak to these rules when ur older

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I'm assuming the government has never meet many people from the mang brigade... last time i heard they had trouble spelling let alone reading "rules"

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sounds good, 17 is far too young these days, I barely trust the 17 year old making a burger at the local fish and chip shop let alone driving.

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R