Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Safe ways to work under car?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I can understand you may have apprehensions about my method, but I have had the pleasure of a car on my head before today and I feel really safe underneath a car like this

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I can understand you may have apprehensions about my method, but I have had the pleasure of a car on my head before today and I feel really safe underneath a car like this

4 Stands is ok

Had a friend actually ask me about what i did under the car and something she said made me think about stands, hence why my preferred method myself is ramps on two wheels and stands for the front or vice versa.

In southwest Sydney and we had a earthquake not long ago and thinking about it, would the stands have been enough or would it have come crashing down, or what if one failed, would all then move off the stands and fall down.

Or what if someone tripped on a tool and their full weight went straight into the raised vehicle on the stands.

So decided to use my ramps more as they handle 750kg per side and also steady and now setup in a way where i can easily deploy them if needed.

For me, a combo of ramps and stands and even a jack if needed.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why do you need all 4 wheels off the ground so often?
Must admit I live on a slope so it's not possible to have car on 4 stands at once but I rarely miss them.

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Ramps fine as well.

Getting my car on ramps for the front being lowered vehicle is a hassle even with a brick at front of ramps to help with clearance....../QUOTE]

I had/have this problem with my BA Ford even though it's not lowered. One day I grabbed a couple of bits of scrap 4" by 2" about 700mm long and put them on the ground and onto each ramp about a third of the way up. I just drove the car onto the 4" by 2" and continued onto the ramps no problem. (It's a good thing not to throw out all your scrap wood!!)

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

If running stands all round make sure yiu watch the tilt on the othher end while jacking up to sit the second end up .

I myself always put stands not where the jacking point is lol usually on front control arms or the crossmember. And on rear control arms, the main subframe bolt on vp-vz rears (unsure if ve same havent been under one) or cupping a solid diff on solid rear axle cars.

I then shake the absolute fcuk out of it forwards backwards sideways trying to push it off the stands. If it doesnt move ill happily crawl under it. I on average spend 15-20 hours a week under cars help up like this. Never had a car fall once.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Over the years, many people who considered their precautions adequate, whilst working under their vehicle(s), have met their end. Body most likely completely squashed, head crushed, limbs severed. Think about the risks before 'cutting corners'. If you cannot do it safely, then let the 'professionals' with the correct equipment, do the job. Good luck.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
4 Stands is ok

Had a friend actually ask me about what i did under the car and something she said made me think about stands, hence why my preferred method myself is ramps on two wheels and stands for the front or vice versa.

In southwest Sydney and we had a earthquake not long ago and thinking about it, would the stands have been enough or would it have come crashing down, or what if one failed, would all then move off the stands and fall down.

Or what if someone tripped on a tool and their full weight went straight into the raised vehicle on the stands.

So decided to use my ramps more as they handle 750kg per side and also steady and now setup in a way where i can easily deploy them if needed.

For me, a combo of ramps and stands and even a jack if needed.

Using stands even on 1 end can be fraught with the potential of them coming down on you, even with the ways you have mentioned. Unfortunately, there is no absolute 100% guaranteed way to have 4 wheels of a car off the deck and not have the potential risk of a car coming down on you.....There is always the "idiot" factor that can't be accounted for, or the failure of equipment.

I will add, in no way am I saying you're an idiot.....By the idiot factor, I am referring to leaving tools out where someone can trip on them, or a person that leans on a car whilst it is up in the air, or even with a car on the hoist, the catch not being released properly because some idiot is too busy gas bagging causing the car to tip off the hoist onto some unsuspecting by stander.

The equipment failure can range from a stand breaking to a hoist cable breaking, allowing the car coming crashing to the ground...

So all we can do is, weigh up the options put forward as suitable methods and pick the option we feel safe using.