Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
All due respect, the 2.78 geared disc braker I have came from a VH SLE, fitted with a factory 308 and it has a small yoke on the diff (ie 6cyl unis)...The 3.08 disc braker came out of a 253 powered VB and it is fitted with the larger unis (ieV8)

You can't switch diff yokes between the 2 different diffs....the spline on the diff yoke is different between the 2...the tailshaft needs to have the universal section replaced.
one tonners had the larger yoke. AFAIK, all other v8 unis are the same for the old holdens. If it did have a 6 cylinder diff and tailshaft in it, it was probably because somebody broke the original one and replaced it with a 6 cylinder one that they had access to.

Make sure you don't get a 2.78 diff with the intention of changing the diff gears to a shorter ratio - apparently the centres are different. 3.08 - 4.44 are the same though if you're looking to mess around with the gears. The real 10 bold salisburys are more oval shaped, a bit like an egg. The smaller ones are the 8 bolt type which i think ari may be talking about which have a more circle looking back cover.

Alot of people think that '10 bolt' refers to the number of bolts holding the cover on, but it's actually referring to the number of bolts for the crown wheel

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The real 10 bold salisburys are more oval shaped, a bit like an egg. The smaller ones are the 8 bolt type which i think ari may be talking about which have a more circle looking back cover.

yeah my bad. change my post to "there are 2 types of salisburys" rather than "2 types of 10 bolts"

im used to my chevy 10 bolt :p

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Thanks for the info there guys, there seems to be enough open 3.08 borgy/sals on the market cheap enough at the moment so I'll price up a reco LSD center when I have some more money to spend. I'd rather that than a shortened VN depending on costs. I'm in no rush anyway but I do have to tinker haha.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah depends on what you wanna do with it. 3.55 is the popular one, so you'll have to be willing to spend big to get those gears. Personally though, I reckon 3.08 is the way to go for a good mix of highway and city driving. Hi revving drives me absolutely insane on the highway lol.

I reckon If the engine can't pull reasonably with 3.08 gears, then it's a gutless pos so you need to wake it up a bit ;)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah originally was planning 3.45's but after doing a few calculators it put it at about 3k on the freeway which isn't really ideal for what I want. So 3.08 is what I'll probably stick to. Now I need to do something to the car so this doesn't end up like Sab's thread with 20 pages of waffle.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've had 3.08 diff since the day I built the car
Whilst it does dull acceleration, I liked that with a 5spd at 100kph, it's only doing around 1800rpm. When I do take the car on a drive on the road, it's usually on the highway for longish trips.

However it never really suited my cam. It gets a bit grumpy around town if you drop anything under 60kph in 4th gear (only doing around 1100-1200rpm at 60kph). So a while back I picked up a set of 3.36 gears which I intend throwing in once I get myself a truetrac centre. Hopefully it will be a good compromise between performance and economy. And it should come in handy on the track too, at the moment I'm between gears coming onto the main straight at Lakeside and QR is a similar issue