Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Soo I got a bit sidetracked today, got this from work for $40 and thought I could make it work. The idea was to remove the dodgy 1990's cassette player and fit this HU without its face and use the front of an original radio over the top of it. It came with a remote so it *should* work.. Also removed the ghetto second speaker that had been stuffed under the steering column. But once I removed the wiring for the second speaker and all the duct tape I was left with just a 12v constant, crappy ground and speaker wire. So I tried wiring it up with these three with no luck, partly I'd say due to the crappy ground under the dash. But can these new head units operate with just a 12v constant & ground or do they require the ignition feed to run as well?
Also if anyone has a non working radio from VB-VK gimme a yell.
20140920_155712.jpg

Old HU
20140920_160305.jpg

Fitment of the pioneer, still need to suss out how I mount it though.
20140920_163356.jpg

Ghetto second speaker begone
20140920_161327.jpg

Random pic from its outing this morning too.
10698500_1488443778081083_8163603732917625215_n.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So I may have found a VB sans engine and box through a mate, which would be perfect for a 5ltr. The rear quarter looks to have been on fire at some point but I'm gunna offer him 2 slabs for it.... So anyone got a spare bit of shed place so I can put it somewhere? :p

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Sure... I have a backyard. I'll give you the spot, I'll take the vc and the 2 slabs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So I may have found a VB sans engine and box through a mate, which would be perfect for a 5ltr. The rear quarter looks to have been on fire at some point but I'm gunna offer him 2 slabs for it.... So anyone got a spare bit of shed place so I can put it somewhere? :p

And the crap collection begins :p

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
And yes that head unit needs both an accessories and constant power feed. And the source button is very inconveniently situated. Every time I try and turn the volume up or down I end up changing it from fm to am/aux etc.

I have one in my ute lol. Paid about the same - $40 is probably all they're really worth anyway

If you want to keep it looking original, I'd be more inclined to mount the head unit inside the glove box and find a standard one for the dash.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
And the crap collection begins :p
Begins? No I'm just buying bigger crap than I have in the past haha, have a look at my garage on the first page I've been like this for years.
And yes that head unit needs both an accessories and constant power feed. And the source button is very inconveniently situated. Every time I try and turn the volume up or down I end up changing it from fm to am/aux etc.

I have one in my ute lol. Paid about the same - $40 is probably all they're really worth anyway

If you want to keep it looking original, I'd be more inclined to mount the head unit inside the glove box and find a standard one for the dash.
I ended up pulling out all the wiring from the old unit, no idea what the last guy was smoking when he did it but anyway. Need some ring thingys so I can do a new ground other than that have all the wiring ready to go. Hopefully I can find an original face and mount it in front of the Pioneer unit and just use the remote....thats the plan anyway.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sorry, ive forgotten to check this section, hence no comments.

from memory, the stereo opening on these isnt a stndard DIN, so you need to remove a little bit of material from the right hand side of the headunit to get it to sit flush where its supposed to. i once had a look to see if mine would fit in the glovebox, but again if memory serves, the HVAC unit behind the dash stopped the stereo from going in deep enough. may be different with yours because mine had airconditioning. the radio needs ground, illumination (when you turn the lights on it dims the facia) constant and ignition. acc doesnt exist in the early girls. it technically does according to the wiring diagrams, but the circuit called "acc" is just ignition that switches off while cranking. to have the radio on, the coil will also be on. in my impala ive hooked a switch up to the acc wire on the back of the radio. its kinda complicated tho, the switch needs to power the radio and at the same time disconnect the radio wire from the vehicle, otherwise flicking the switch will do the same thing as turning the key and the coil will be powered. i did this so i could go to the drive-ins and not have all my dash lights on and coil powered. problem with it is if you forget to flick the switch, the radio stays on and will drain your battery.

the diff i dont know anything about. i never looked into it, but there are loads of threads in the VB-VK section about the conversion.

she is looking really pretty mate! koudos

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
^^ early girls do have accessories, push the ignition key in and turn anti-clockwise from the 'off' position

and yeah they aren't standard DIN size. In fact they are a prick of a thing to fit an aftermarket headunit to. Not only do you need to hack out the opening (I also had to cut and trim the front panel on the headunit facial clip on surround) but you are limited to how far you can push the head unit back because the heaterbox is in the way. My 90deg RCA leads at the back of the headunit push hard up against the heaterbox. I managed a reasonable sort of fit with a lot of massaging, but not an easy task to make it look tidy. But looking at the picture you've posted, looks like you've managed to recess the unit into the dash fairly well.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR