Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Saving fuel at the traffic lights

GTRVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
you starter motor will last hhhmmmm,.... alot less! an at $150+ for a reco is it worth it? and you wouldnt turn the car right off cuz the fuel system would cold start prime itself again (go from 36PSI to 45+PSI) you know that 3 sec buzz u get when u hit the key before u start the motor of a morning (thats why your car uses more fuel to start, well that and the CTS sayn "i`m cold walm me up"..... and not to mention you O2 sensor cooling,... thats why holden put heaters in them,... cuz they dont work when they are cold. switch off would start the cooling off process and throw you light throttle and idle fuel consumption off till it walms up again. PUT IT IN "N" if your that worried but as all the other wise driver suggest WATCH YOU MIRRORS FOR IDIOTS!

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
If you are in gear and have the clutch pushed in while waiting at the lights, you will wear out the thrust bearing on the clutch assembly.... *rumble rumble*
That said, if it's a short wait I prefer to be in gear and ready to take off if that B-double happens to be closing in behind me.

If you're in an auto and shifting from Neutral to Drive, think about the wear on the clutch packs as they engage.....

You will probably save more by taking it easy as you leave the lights, and slowing down well before you reach a red light or intersection. i.e. drive like a granny. :p

/DP

vn88calais

Perth Representative
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY Commodore 2002
is the car idlling too high?? if it is couldnt that be a sorce of the fuel going when sitting at the lights?? :S lol...

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Dont turn your car off at traffic lights. Pointless exersise.

Autos leave them in drive, takes little effort on the brake to stop the car rolling.

Manual pop in neutral and let the clutch out. Again minor pressure on the brake.

If youre worried enough about fuel consumption to consider turning the car off at the lights buy a Hyundai Getz or something.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
When driving a manual I pop the car into neutral as I'm approaching the lights and only use my brake 'til I coast to a stop.. Gives my left foot a bit of a break, as the only time I drive a manual is when it's a mates..

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
shaggerz said:
I'd say that a live calulation like that requires to be converted to time rather than distance. It probably does this based on your speed, so the 2ish l/100km is just an estimated conversion based on fuel consumption over time.

Although, if it's calculating based on the speedo reading, the computer would end up with a divide by zero error hehe.

Food for thought

It pretty much does that... leaving my trip computer on instant fuel usage... as you coast to the lights and stop it will rocket up to 99L/100K just as you stop, when you are stopped it displays "0", even though it is obviously using petrol. As you have said though, you can't give a L/100Km reading if you aren't moving :)

The fuel used is on the same screen, might watch that too some time, fuel usage in .01 increments, probably give a better idea.