Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sensor being added to a light

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Hey guys - im hardly a tradie, but thought it might be appropriate here..

I have a standard light fitting/globe near my door attached to a wall, via a standard switch. I want to add a sensor to it - moreso so I can see the friggen doorlock when i get home from work/late nights..

Do I need to ge a sparky out for this, or is it simple DIY?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey guys - im hardly a tradie, but thought it might be appropriate here..

I have a standard light fitting/globe near my door attached to a wall, via a standard switch. I want to add a sensor to it - moreso so I can see the friggen doorlock when i get home from work/late nights..

Do I need to ge a sparky out for this, or is it simple DIY?

In your own words you are not a Tradie so I will answer you in a roundabout way.
Firstly, start your car and while a friend brings the revs up to around 3000, grab hold of a spark plug lead and try to remove it.
You should get a shock, but you will be alive, however, if you get a shock from the 240 voltage in your home, you may not wake up.
Not only the fact you may kill yourself, but you may kill others as well, not to mention electricity is great for burning homes down.
So get a sparkie, or buy a solar light for over the door.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Such a dick response from a legit question

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Nah pal you will be fine.. just kill the mains first (have the light going when you flick the switch to make sure it goes out) and wire in a sensor light (outdoor).. Bunnings is like a handful of $1 coins...

Flick all the switches up in the board not just the ones labelled lights ......

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Unless it plugs straight into the socket, by law an electrician is required, same with plumbing.
Funny that any nuffy can do brake work on cars & that's OK.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Sparky is needed.
Put basically if it causes your house to burn down say bye to your insurance.
Make sure you see their a grade (vic needs vic licence) and you get a cert of electrical safety.
for what you want shouldnt take long at all.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Despite post #2, I appreciate all the feedback and responses.

Bit of a bummer that a sparky is required, however I can totally appreciate the need for one.

Thanks guys!

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
First of all, you definitely need a sparky, for ANY type of work which requires installation wiring.

But, there are other options. You can buy plenty of lights that plug into the standard light fitting.

Motion Sensor LED Light Bulb - 7W Smart Lamp – negergy.com.au

Obviously they aren't going to be as pleasing to the eye, but they'll be much easier on the wallet, as you can install it yourself. :)

Edit: Just search eBay for 'sensor light' and choose which fitting you have, B22 (Bayonet) or E27 (Screw)

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
As above, buy a sensor light that plugs into an existing fitting and job done.
I am an electrician by trade so would install a good quality sensor or replace the light fitting completely if it was my house. But for the sake of your wallet, no harm in plugging in a new light as long as it is approved for use on the Australian market. Just don't mess with any wiring.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
It's not really all that hard to do, just take the proper safety precautions as all ready mentioned.
If you are going to do it, mount it under cover as the cheap plastic always seems to break down after a year or three.

I bought a solar powered sensor light from bunnings for the front door, ive had it for over two years and its still working like the day i bought it. Its plenty bright, i have it bouncing light off the ceiling to give a nice even light.
Best of all, it doesn't cost anything to run.