Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series II VE Calais - Cruise Control turns, sets, but turns itself off!

FlyingVXIIKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VXII Acclaim
Hi All,

I've had a search and can't find anything that match my exact circumstances (perhaps I used the wrong terms)... but if someone can help I would greatly appreciated.

I have a 2011 Calais V Series II VE v6 with a cruise control fault.

I can turn the cruise control on when I start the car, I can also set the cruise control and it works as intended until after a period of time the cruise control deactivates and cannot be reactivated until after restarting the car.

Sometimes the fault will occur within 400m of leaving the driveway and other times it can be after hours of driving with cruise control 'On' (not necessarily set). It doesn't seem to relate to braking, activating the indicators, the headlight setting (off, auto, on makes no difference). I've tried ruling out as much as possible and there appears to be no consistency.

I have scanned the onboard computer with and OBD2 diagnostic tool (not genuine Holden) and no faults were thrown. Even though I recreated the fault in the garage (lights on-off, indicators on-off, cruise on-off, stomping brake pedal - basically everything and anything to get it to fault - and again it could have just been that the car had been running for a certain period) and scanned immediately after... still no fault code.

Even at the last service with Holden I asked them to scan it, they said no fault codes were thrown.

Is anyone able to put me on the right track? I don't want to start asking for scans (and paying for them) to get no result - I'd rather replace a part or two if the economics make sense...

I'm in Auckland NZ if anyone has any ability to provide some local direction.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Could be a dicky wheel sensor. I had a Hyundai i30( yeah I know) and it would do it this now and then, turned out to be a bad Brake switch. I thought Cruise control wouldn't set unless you were doing over 40kph?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi All,

I've had a search and can't find anything that match my exact circumstances (perhaps I used the wrong terms)... but if someone can help I would greatly appreciated.

I have a 2011 Calais V Series II VE v6 with a cruise control fault.

I can turn the cruise control on when I start the car, I can also set the cruise control and it works as intended until after a period of time the cruise control deactivates and cannot be reactivated until after restarting the car.

Sometimes the fault will occur within 400m of leaving the driveway and other times it can be after hours of driving with cruise control 'On' (not necessarily set). It doesn't seem to relate to braking, activating the indicators, the headlight setting (off, auto, on makes no difference). I've tried ruling out as much as possible and there appears to be no consistency.

I have scanned the onboard computer with and OBD2 diagnostic tool (not genuine Holden) and no faults were thrown. Even though I recreated the fault in the garage (lights on-off, indicators on-off, cruise on-off, stomping brake pedal - basically everything and anything to get it to fault - and again it could have just been that the car had been running for a certain period) and scanned immediately after... still no fault code.

Even at the last service with Holden I asked them to scan it, they said no fault codes were thrown.

Is anyone able to put me on the right track? I don't want to start asking for scans (and paying for them) to get no result - I'd rather replace a part or two if the economics make sense...

I'm in Auckland NZ if anyone has any ability to provide some local direction.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Probably the brake switch on pedal, mine would do the same, like 1/2 mm adjustment a years of trouble free use since

FlyingVXIIKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VXII Acclaim
Cheers - I figure its either the stalk itself (but you don't have to touch it for it to disengage) of the brake switch, but again you can have cruise control set and it will disengage completely and you won't have touched anything...

FlyingVXIIKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VXII Acclaim
Thanks! How do you adjust the switch? From what I have read (and I'm certainly no mechanic or auto-sparky) there are 2 circuits in the brake pedal switch (lights & cruise control) but I've never read about it being adjustable?!
If you have any info I'll get stuck into it this weekend. Thanks!!!

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
There should be 2 nuts on the brake switch.
Back the end one off then adjust the top one up a full turn, tighten up the bottom one.
Check and make sure the brake lights are still working without having to put a great deal of pressure on the brake peddle. If the cruise control still wont stay on try a further adjustment keeping in mind the brake lights.
Mine was set to fine and would disengage with the slightest bump.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Best way to check the switch in to get out on an open road where you can safely get up to speed, put you foot behind the brake pedal and pull your foot back (not hard but with a little bit of pressure) then set cruise control at the desired speed and see if it holds if it does remove your foot and see if it turns off, if it does then the switch is either too close to the pedal or faulty

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I had a very similar problem with my 2012 Redline, the cruise control would intermittently deactivate itself, and wouldn't re-engage until the ignition was cycled off/on...

It was fixed under warranty, the dealer said it was a problem with the control stalk and replaced it.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Thanks! How do you adjust the switch? From what I have read (and I'm certainly no mechanic or auto-sparky) there are 2 circuits in the brake pedal switch (lights & cruise control) but I've never read about it being adjustable?!
If you have any info I'll get stuck into it this weekend. Thanks!!!

Small bolt from memory or even an allen key job. took about 4 goes to get the right spot and no issue for 2 years 80K now.

I found that if I held up my brake pedal with foot the cruise would work no problems at all. Check if same for you.

FlyingVXIIKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VXII Acclaim
Thanks! Its bloody strange... Sometimes I don't even make it out of the driveway and its off and won't reset. Other times its hours of driving. Although in the main it switches off after about 20-30 mins of driving.

It almost never turns-off after braking (it will deactivate as expected) but not turn off completely...

I'll try what you suggest (I have pulled the brake pedal back with my foot after it has switched off completely and I haven't been able to get it to reset).